Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 11 year old Wyeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
PT Ray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 11 year old Wyeast

Mainly for giggles, last night I smacked a Wyeast packet that had been sitting in my fridge since 1995. Not banking on getting any activity but figured it's worth a shot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

You'd had a packet of yeast in your fridge for more than a decade?

Don't you ever clean, son?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It is 1338 European Ale, if it swells no doubt I will use it. It has been sitting next to a can of Mackeson Stout that I brought back from England in 1995. For the past year I have been using some roasted barley and chocolate malt I have had since 95, no ill effects. Last year I used some spruce essence that was also ten years old, bad idea, that did turn the brew musty. I quit brewing back in 96 or so and held on to everything, started back up over a year ago.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'd be willing to bet that it actually works. You'll almost certainly need to make a starter out of whatever contents pour forth from the old pack. Unless it's been subjected to harsh conditions, there are probably a few viable cells in there. Give it a shot, and good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
cyberjoey80

Recipes 

11 year old yeast?!! Wow, I mean I have milk and eggs in my fridge about that vintage but not yeast. Usually when something is over a year old in my fridge I take it out and mark "bad" on it with a sharpee before I put it back in. That way no one mistakingly uses it...you know....for safety.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I believe it's alive. I put it ontop of the dsl modem to keep it warm and appears to have swelled. I expected some swelling with expansion from the increase in the temp but their seems to be some additional increase from fermentation. Just for the record, mfg date is 1-18-95. I'll be sure to update in the next day or two.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=PT Ray]...Just for the record, mfg date is 1-18-95.../[QUOTE]

11 years old? In LESS than 2 months it's 12 years old! HAHAHA!!! I love it! Best of luck friend!!! I really hope it works!!! I've got an old one gallon bleach bottle that's over 30 years old... Course, it's kinda non-perishable. *shrug* That rocks! Keep us posted!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
Bigfoot99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really want to know how that works out. I've got a couple of vials of White Labs that have been sitting in my refrigerator for probably 5-6 years (got them for free from White Labs at the GABF)... I was wondering if I should pitch them, or... well, pitch them.

Quick Reply