Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 10 Hop Imperial IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
joutlaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 10 Hop Imperial IPA

So I got a little creative Saturday... well lets just say crazy with the hops. I had 5 or 6 1 lb bags I had never opened and wanted to put them to use. I know... it has corn sugar in it, but I knew it needed a little more gravity with all these hops.

So here's my question. All of the hops were pellets excpet for the cascade and perle. I want to dry hop with another 1oz of perle. Should I wait for the secondary? Or go ahead in the primary?

I should have taken pics of this brew. Within 2 hours the muntons dry yeast had taken off. In 4 hours my airlock was clogged. I removed it and hop trash went everywhere. After that its started spewing out like a volcano. I improvised a blow off tube and put the airlock back on that next morning.

I wonder what it will taste like. The color is nice. Pretty much I just used all my left over grains.

Here's the recipe.

Brewer: joutlaw
Email: - Beer: 10 Hop Imperial IPA Style: India Pale Ale Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons Color: 25 HCU (~14 SRM) Bitterness: 70 IBU OG: 1.075 FG: 1.015 Alcohol: 7.8% v/v (6.1% w/w) Grain: 8.25 oz. American crystal 60L
1 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2 oz. Belgian Special B
4 oz. Special Roast Boil: minutes SG 1.126 3 gallons 7 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 lb. Corn sugar Hops: 1 oz. Chinook (11.6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (7.0% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Target (10% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.8% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Willamette (4.3% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.0% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.0% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Perle (aroma)

Soon to be brewing again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

OMG, that is awesome. Great idea.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 10-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I've always dry hopped in the keg. I like to have an idea of where the batch is going first. The lastest, I dry hopped twice (cacades first, then fuggles & EKG)

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
puravida286
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How is your alcohol content so high with 7lbs of DME? Is it because of your specialty grains or the 1lb of corn sugar that you're adding? BTW all those hops sound mighty tasty :-)

Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
joutlaw
Recipes 

Probably the corn sugar. I'm hoping the 1lb of cara-pils will offset it some of the thinning out it will do.

I have some of those cascade hop tablets that are like a alkaseltzer. I'm using one of those and 1oz of perle. I suppose I got a little while to decide when. I'll probably do it in the secondary for the first week.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
joutlaw
Recipes 

Racked to secondary and checked the gravity. 1.015 already!. I took a sip and wow.... very hoppy of course. Initial bite was excellent... not too much. I could tell this was a high gravity brew. I threw the cascade tablet in and added the 1oz of perle whole hops. It neeed a little aroma and I think this will do it. After 3 days in the secondary it is suprisingly clear. I'm letting it dry hop for 7 days, then 7 more in the secondary. I'm kegging all of this and priming and let her age for a while.

Experimenting is a lot of fun. I was scared at first I was wasting 7lbs of DME and all those hops. But this beer already tastes great being as green as it is.

Quick Reply