06.06.06 We should start planning now....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I regard this forum as great fun--I spend a ton of time here and not only enjoy the company but find a ton of knowledge from you guys. That said--I think we should all put our heads together and come up with a recipe for an epic beer that we can all brew and put the official name of "Homebrewtalk" on the label.

We have very knowledgeable folks here, as well as artists, and great personalities--this beer should reflect all of that. I suggest this thread be used as a brainstorm for a recipe idea, then we'll break it off and let anyone interested help design a label and we will all vote on it. Same with a unique name--we'll take suggestions and vote.

Anyway--let the games begin. First let's come up with a recipe.

Personally--I'd like this recipe completed soon--so we have enough time to experiment with brews, and then once we come up with a winner, maybe we can enter it into the NHBC judging in May/June. No one person would take credit for it, it would be from "homebrewtalk", and if the beer does well, maybe put this forum on the map even more.

Anyone interested?

My suggestions on what this beer should be like:

I think it needs to be big. An imperial. 06.06.06 only comes once, so it has to be memorable. I think we need to come up with a unique recipe that hasn't been done. Without getting too over the top--but everyone will have input.

Let's get some suggestions!!!

Me first--I'm thinking an imperial red, nicely hopped and adjuncted heavily with rye maybe? Maybe use a yeast blend from White labs with some unique characteristics?

great idea dude. this yeast from white labsmight work:
American Ale Yeast Blend
(WLP060)

Our most popular strain is WLP001-California Ale yeast. This blend celebrates the strengths of California - clean, neutral fermentation, versatile usage and adds two other strains that belong in the same" clean/neutral" flavor category. The additional strains create complexity to the finished beer, and will taste more lager like than just WLP001. Hops flavors and bitterness are accentuated, but to the extreme of WLP001. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation.
Attenuation: 72-80; Flocculation: medium; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 68-73

or the 10th Ann. Ale yeast from WL.

i like the idea of the imperial American red too......

DeRoux's Broux said:
or the 10th Ann. Ale yeast from WL.

My smoked porter was done with that 10th anniversary yeast...great yeast, IMHO. White Labs won't tell me what strains it is though. :mad:

Once we get some more brainstorming going--maybe we can narrow down a beer and then get a recipe going. I'm half tempted in my excitement to put one together now and post something....:D

i was already play'n on promash. just throwing stuff together...2-row, crystal 60, munich, special b, rye........

DeRoux's Broux said:
or use pilsner malt and do a decoction to eek out every bit of malty goodness

KISS.....we want the extract brewers to have a fighting chance!!!!

Plus I ain't doin' no decoction crap! Not yet anyway..... :p

Dude said:
KISS.....we want the extract brewers to have a fighting chance!!!!

Plus I ain't doin' no decoction crap! Not yet anyway..... :p

oh all right then!:D

you know it would be cool though....;)

I think it definatly needs some pilsenery/sulphurous edge. 666 after all, brimstone and all that. ;) Actually, I like the idea of something red and bitter, we can keep the evilness to naming and labels.

How about 'The Apoc-Ale-Ypse'?

I've only just seen this tread.

Great Idea.

Can it be formulated for AG and exrtact.
It would be good if it could use a general rather than specific yeast type.
And not need difficult techniques.

I'd like to try the AG and Extract versions to compare notes.

This is an awesome idea. I'll see if can I contribute any ideas.

Should we all sample our final product the same day at a designated time and break the most members on at once record to provide real-time results?

OK, off the top of my head......

If we're going to go red, let's shoot for something in the dark range.....aka blood red.

OG around 1.075. I'm always down for really big beers, but let's do something that doesn't take ages to finish out.

I'm also thinking something that features Chinook hops, a la Arrogant Bastard. More of a "stock ale" than an Imperial IPA. 65-??? IBU, according to personal taste?

Yeast, I dunno. I think the American blend would be good, but not sure how widely available it is. Anything but 1056, Safale 56, or WLP001!

As for a name, I think we keep it to the point. I vote for "The Beast." Or, "The HBT Beast."

I don't have Pro Mash on my new laptop here (my main comp. at home took a huge dump), so I can't tinker with it. Dude, hook me up!

i like the idea of the melanoidin for the non-all grainers.

sorry sam, but there's alread ya commercial beer called "the beast". it's a big brew too.

welcome back! glad your settled in Hood.

I agree with the rye and it should be big. I like Sam75's 1.075 OG suggestion. Should anything smoked go in there? And it's gotta be hopped up like crazy.:)

While I agree we want the final result to be dynamic--I think we should keep it fairly simple too. I don't think it will be too hard finding the right ingredients to get the color right, but personally I think we should make the recipe interchangeable between extract/partial mash/all grain. Just my opinion.

I'm going ot work on a recipe and start getting somethign on paper. Only 8 more hours to go at work so I think I'll have some time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies to this--I wasn't sure how it would go over. We need to nail down some more potential names and come to an agreement on 3-4 good ones, then have a vote.

Basic recipe soon to come...

brewsmith said:
I agree with the rye and it should be big. I like Sam75's 1.075 OG suggestion. Should anything smoked go in there? And it's gotta be hopped up like crazy.:)

Oh hell yeah....I like that route....

Sam, what was that yeast Cam used in that beer we had at the NHBC..It added that funky smoky kick which was WAY interesting....

Dude said:
Oh hell yeah....I like that route....

Sam, what was that yeast Cam used in that beer we had at the NHBC..It added that funky smoky kick which was WAY interesting....

I'm sure he said that was a Belgian strain from Brewtec. I don't get that at all. I think he might have screwed up his brewday notes. :D

Another that I'm seriously thinking of is WLP320. It's advertised as "American Wheat", but from what I've gathered is a traditional alt yeast. I've had good results with it in a smaller beer.....I think it might fly in something like we're talking about.

Sam75 said:
I'm sure he said that was a Belgian strain from Brewtec. I don't get that at all. I think he might have screwed up his brewday notes. :D

Another that I'm seriously thinking of is WLP320. It's advertised as "American Wheat", but from what I've gathered is a traditional alt yeast. I've had good results with it in a smaller beer.....I think it might fly in something like we're talking about.

We can definitely experiment with different ones.

I think we should put some oak chips in secondary too....

DeRoux..telll me more about this melanoidin malt--can it be steeped for the extract brewers?

Okay, this will probably get shot down, but how about "Rise of the Phoenix"?

I threw some Phoenix hops in the recipe--don't know much about them but I wanted to incorporate an English hop in it and this one seems as good (or better) than any. I have no experience with them (other than just ordering a pound from Hops Direct :D ), so it is a mystery to me as what they add to a recipe.

A rough draft--PLEASE contribute. I'm no recipe expert. I'm not so concerned with color right now--we can tweak that. I got as close as I could to a blood red though. Promash almost makes it look brown, but I have faith. :D
The wheat is in there for head retention--caramel wheat sounded nice. Brown sugar was added to up the ABV and add some depth. Yeast, I'm going to break up the batch and pitcha few different kinds, but based on research I'm thinking WLP007 will be a nice fit. we will try others too.

NOTE: I am extremely reluctant to post this, as I'd like as much "out of the box" thinking and input as possible. This has to be a unique recipe.

A ProMash Recipe Report

-------------------------------
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.50
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.59
Anticipated SRM: 20.1
Anticipated IBU: 75.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.7 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
16.1 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
16.1 2.50 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
12.9 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.5 1.00 lbs. Brown Sugar (dark) Generic 1.046 60
3.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
3.2 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
3.2 0.50 lbs. Caramel Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 46
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 46.7 60 min.
1.00 oz. Phoenix Pellet 8.50 17.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Phoenix Pellet 8.50 9.0 15 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 3.0 5 min.

Yeast
WLP007

I've never seen Phoenix hops for sale anywhere. Got a source?

I'm liking the grain bill, though. Brown sugar might be interesting.

I think the yeast is going to be the sticking point in this recipe. :D

Sam75 said:
I've never seen Phoenix hops for sale anywhere. Got a source?

I'm liking the grain bill, though. Brown sugar might be interesting.

I think the yeast is going to be the sticking point in this recipe. :D

Phoenix Hops:

hopsdirect
midwestsupplies

They seem awfully pricey--but it might be worth it (especially if we use the name I suggested) ;) , but we can easily sub in a similar hop. I usually ahve trouble with configuring hops--so please guys, add suggestions.

That yeast (007) attenuates 75-80%. This stuff will be pretty hot. I'm tempted to suggest going with something a little less powerful.

One problem with the WLP320 I suggested is that it doesn't flocculate well. We don't want this beer to be cloudy. (Although my honey wheat came out nice and clear)

Maybe an alt yeast? I think we'll have plenty of hoppiness, so that an alt yeast will balance it out nicely. I've never used one myself, though. A scottish ale yeast might be nice, too.

Just throwing out ideas....I'm eager to hear others' suggestions!

Sam75 said:
That yeast (007) attenuates 75-80%. This stuff will be pretty hot. I'm tempted to suggest going with something a little less powerful.

One problem with the WLP320 I suggested is that it doesn't flocculate well. We don't want this beer to be cloudy. (Although my honey wheat came out nice and clear)

Maybe an alt yeast? I think we'll have plenty of hoppiness, so that an alt yeast will balance it out nicely. I've never used one myself, though. A scottish ale yeast might be nice, too.

Just throwing out ideas....I'm eager to hear others' suggestions!

I'm wondering about yeast too. I'm half tempted to try an experiment that is mentioned on Stone's website regarduing one of the Vertical Epic recipes....splitting the batch and fermenting half with Stone's house yeast (have no idea what an equivalent for that is), and a trappist strain, then mixing them together after primary. Finished product = some phenols going and then a cleaner strain along with it. It might be a PITA, but it might be REALLY kick-ass too.

Need more input....

I like the idea of the scottish and red, but think maybe 6 ounces of smoked malt would be good? and to add to the 666 idea bump the Og up to about 1.080 and make that bad boy like a 220/. Play with the old saying "ez'er for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle then it is to get into heaven, 220/ is plenty rich may as well enjoy it in hell.

carbonate it at maybe 2.5 volumes to help bring some of the hops out if it more?

and I like the idea of the oak chips

maybe WLP028 or Wyeast 1728 instead of the english dry

IBU's are way to high for me, I'd probably want to stay more down to 35 thats the high end of the heavy scottish style

Name? Beelzebub Brew

Lots of good suggestions so far!

I like the suggestions of it being a red, and using WLP028 yeast. I added .50 German Smoke Malt, and changed the 30 & 15 minute additions to Northern Brewer. Challenger could be used as well. Ive never used Phoenix, so Im not sure what to expect from them.

After adding the Smoke and Northern Brewer, I came up with:

Original Gravity 1.079
Terminal Gravity 1.015
Color 22.49 °SRM
Bitterness 61.0 IBU
Alcohol (%volume) 8.4 %

Pumbaa wanted lower IBU's, but liked the oak chips idea. Sam said to use an Alt style yeast, and WLP007 definately wouldnt fit, but WLP028 would be okay.

How about getting some parameters set on the recipe...

Original Gravity
IBU's
Color
AV

Also, a consensus on the grain.

Base Malt:
Specialty Malt:
Adjuncts:

How about everyone posting their thoughts on the above? I'll go first...

Original Gravity - 1.060 to 1.075
IBU's - 35 to 55
Color - 20 to 27
AV - 7.5% to 8.5%

Base Malt:
2 Row

Specialty Malt: Rye
Munich
Wheat
Crystal
Special B
Smoke
Adjuncts: Flaked Rye
Brown sugar

i just saw this post but i'm thinking something like a barley wine maybe. but that also could be because i just got a nice book on barley wines and its got me all jittery for a barley wine!!!! i think it needs to have a big hop flavor and aroma. i've never used rye before so i don't know what it imparts on the brew.

<<<-----------see my new membership?? hehe

Wow, looks like I'm a bit late to the party :)

I'll have to look over some stuff before I can make more suggestions, but it looks good so far. Ill give a nod to keeping the hops under control. For something that is going to have as many flavors flying around, we're going to have to be careful to keep this thing balanced out. That said, it's going to need some decent bitterness to keep it from becoming a train wreak, so somewhere in the upper 40's sounds right.

I've been looking for an excuse to work some black pepper into a recipe. Sound good to anyone else?

Original Gravity - 1.080 to 1.095
IBU's - 35 to 40
Color - 12 to 14 (much darker and your into brown country)
AV - around 10%

Not doing all grains yet so cant really be a huge help with the base malts and stuff but would thinkmaybe some
  • roasted barely
  • peat malt or self smoked malt (oak chips for smoking)
  • darker crystal malt (25L and up)
  • carapils (just something I always seem to use)
  • flaked rye (was mentioned above and why the h3ll not :) )
  • honey vs brown sugar to bump up the ABV and not have a 20lbs grain bill
  • more oak chips, I just like the idea
The Wee heavy I made I used 3lbs of honey and it turned out REAL nice after ageing. I havent used any other sugars other then honey and malt so I'll admit I am ignorant about them

I use wheat malt to prime also, dunno if it really adds anything other then protiens for head retention

I'm at work right now so cant use promash for amounts will TRY to do it tomarrow AFTER I get that damn blueberry wheat bottled:rolleyes:

Pumbaa said:
Color - 12 to 14 (much darker and your into brown country)
AV - around 10%

You're right on that Pumbaa, good catch. I think the Special B would take us into the brown range, and using Crystal 120L would give it the red color we want.

Also using either light or dark brown sugar will give it too dark a color, so honey or another neutral color sugar would keep it in the right color range.

What else?

Back