Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > zymico thermothingy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
lostnfoam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default zymico thermothingy problems

i need to know if anyine knows anything about these things i cant find a thermometer that is long enough and well im going crazey please help. im trying to put thermometers on my coolers so far its looking bleek and im looking crazey

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Next to brew: coffee brown ale, witenger, belgain pale ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
BobdaBrewer
Recipes 

Well I have 3 Thermothingys. I use a turkey fryer thermometer (3/16's thick) in my brew pot the thingy also has a site glass. The thermometer sticks in all the way to the middle of the keg and can take temperature up past boiling.

On my Mash tun 48 qt cooler I actually used the Kewler thingy (no site glass), however the cooler thickness gap is way smaller then the middle nipple part so I put in 5 SS washers on each side. I had problems not with length of the thermometer on the Mash tun but the thickness of the thermometer shaft and I didn't want to use a turkey thermometer on this application. So I found a thermometer at Walmart that protrudes about 2 inches into the cooler and the temp range is 130 - 190 degrees, well within the sparging water temps. So, I threw away the little washer that comes with the rig and drilled out a number 6 threaded nut so the therm shaft fit thru then I added the o-rings and clamped the outside gland nut to make it water tight.

On my Sparge tank I used another thermothingy with site glass and modded it like the mash tun.

I can show pics if you want to see what I'm talking about...

Good Luck

Bob

Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
lostnfoam

Recipes 

that would be great. i have the thermosight and thingy installed just need the right thermometers

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Next to brew: coffee brown ale, witenger, belgain pale ale

Old 03-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
BobdaBrewer
Recipes 

Ok.. I hope they help

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...boss/beer/tun/

Cheers!

Bob M

Quick Reply