Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are you happy with your plate chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #51
mrklueber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have a 30 plate Duda Diesel plate chiller. I live in SW Ohio where the ground water temps can be in the 70s in the summer. I recently brewed with the ground water temp at 72F. I used a pre-chiller, my old IC in cooler filled with ice water, and was able to get 66F cooled wort at ~1gpm. Takes about 5-10 min near the end of the boil to circulate 190F water to sanitize the chiller and ~10 minutes after filling the fermenters to flush and backflush with 190F water to sanitize. No problems so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #52
JacquesG
Frenchy Le Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

thanks, Mark. I guess I may need to take the plunge. I guess I'll have to evaluate the higher cost of water here in the SW US, and the slower time to chill versus the cost of the plate chiller. As it is, we need to make another IC because we've gone from 5 gal to 10 brews and the 25', 3/8 copper took our first 10 gal batch over 45 gallons of water and about 25 minutes to cool. Lots of time. Appreciate the info and opinion.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #53
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

No problem. According to Duda Diesel's web site, a 30 plate chiller will chill 10 gallons with less than 30 gallons of water. Of course, it depends on the temp of the chill water. That's why I would use a pre-chiller on the chill water side. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #54
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I also have a Duda Diesel 30 plate chiller. It was in the high 80's yesterday and it was able to get 6 gallons down to 80 degrees in about 10 minutes. I recirculate PBW through it for 20 minutes afterward followed by boiling water for ten minutes. I don't bother with sanitizer since the boiling water will take care of that for me. Before I had one of the little solar pumps I would just back flush it with a hose then bake it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes to clean and sanitize it.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #55
JacquesG
Frenchy Le Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I'm talking with my brew buddy tonight while we bottle our IPA 10 gallon batch we made last weekend. I think the 30 plate will be sufficient for our needs, too. I like mrk's plan of pre-chilling with an ice bath prior to circulating. We have two pumps from Chugga that we haven't set up yet. Working on our "sculpture" design first, although I think we can play with it before. Appreciate your advice.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #56
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm able to take off my kitchen faucet nozzle and lean the plate chiller on the divider of the double sink so that the inlet or outlet of the plate chiller can fit up into the sink.

Then I blast hot water through it - the water gets up to a six inch geyser coming out the other side. This does pretty well for taking out a bunch of leftover debris. If you didn't have a pump then this could work as a replacement. I've also used a carboy jet as well but holding on to the thing with the hot water coming through is a bit painful (need to buy gloves).

I'm also doing AG - which seems to cut down on a lot of trub - and the mash tun and kettle both have bazooka screens. Hops are bagged and I've used pellet or plug hops. Nothing really seems to accumulate.

I recirculate the plate chiller back into the kettle prior to filling the carboy (Better Bottle).

Fermenting: Styrian Aurora Blonde; Flander's Red; Oud Bruin
Aging: Brett'd Old Ale; Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse
On Tap: Cherry Lacto Saison; Scotch Ale; Pumpkin Stout

Quick Reply