New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are you happy with your plate chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
Arrheinous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I guess a regular immersion chiller is just an IC to me...carry on...
Oh np, I didn't realize the whirlpool chiller could be IWC too but I see that now.

Fermenting: Raccoon Cancun ESB
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak+Brett C)
On Tap: Akron Fog (steam beer), Deception Coffee Stout

[NaCl]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I used an immersion chiller for years with 5 gallon batches, and it generally did well enough (although used a lot of water) but when I made the jump to 10 gallons I picked up a Shirron plate chiller, chugger pump & QDs from Brewhardware, and built a hop-spider to help hop filtration. A bit of an upfront investment, but it will save me time, make my sessions more efficient, give me better beer, and keeps me from lifting heavy wort in my advancing age.

The plate chiller has made a huge difference in my brew days and I recommend it. I just used it two weeks ago on a 5-gallon pilsner and dropped to pitching temps in about 10 minutes

Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Good to hear, I'm looking to accomplish the same. Slick in-line thermometer. I'll take a look at setting up something similar.

The extended cleanup required for running a plate chiller isn't a problem for me - I can sterilize while I setup, mash, boil, and all that. The last thing I want to do, and the thing that makes me dread brew day, is man-handling the IC and hoping it doesn't pee into the kettle in the process.

Plus the PC should scale up for 5, 10, 15 gallon volumes. I'd need to spend more money for 50' IC recommended for 10 gallons. Or buy a second 25' and strap them together.

As far as clogging, no one here has mentioned a problem with the B3-23A and I've got a bazooka screen on the kettle. Not much gets through that.

For an IC that you need to stir or Jamil's IWC, is there the potential for hot-side aeration/oxidation?

At the end of the day: I just want to pull the lever and let gravity/thermodynamics do my bidding. I work plenty enough during the week. Next I'll be looking at kegging.

[NaCl]

Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
jww9618
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The B3-23A will clog the same as any other plate chiller. I use a hop spider and haven't had any issues. Does the bazooka screen work well with hop pellets?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
Arrheinous
Recipes 

It clogs with pellets but I can scrape around it. I typically use whole/plug hops. Such a neat plant.

So I think I'm pulling the trigger on B3-23A 30 today. Going with 3/4" and 1/2" NPT so I can tinker with new configurations ad nauseum.

[NaCl]

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous View Post
It clogs with pellets but I can scrape around it. I typically use whole/plug hops. Such a neat plant.

So I think I'm pulling the trigger on B3-23A 30 today. Going with 3/4" and 1/2" NPT so I can tinker with new configurations ad nauseum.
That's the setup I have with a pump. I love the plate chiller. I bought mine through brewhardware and got my camlocks, thermometer, and other fittings from bobbym. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #27
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have the duda diesel 20 plate long chiller setup with camlocks and a analog thermometer and it works great.

I use a paint strainer bag to filter hops form the kettle.

I have used the plate chiller with gravity feed, however, a pump is convenient for cleaning and for sanitizing by recirculating boiling wort through the chiller during the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #28
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I have a DD 40 plate chiller, I love it, it saves time. I have 50F ground water all year, I can drop 10gal to temp in 10min. It's easy to clean and just to be safe I pressure can it before any big 20+gal brew day.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
br1dge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous

We just fired up our duda for the first time today, and it was amazing. We have the b3-23a-60 and were able to take 24g from 212 to 65 in one pass straight to our fermentation buckets, and this was pumping at full speed..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #30
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Got mine in the mail today, 30 plate.

The 60 plate looks like a monster.