Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are you happy with your plate chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Arrheinous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Default Are you happy with your plate chiller?

I'm looking to move from an IWC to a plate chiller. The chilling process is the part of brew day I dread the most - a bunch of hoses hanging into a boiling pot, I have to dead-lift the thing to the sink, and then the hands-on stirring. If I go from 5gal to 10gal batches and start doing this outdoors I don't want to carry over these difficulties onto a larger scale.

I want everything to be external to the pot so a leaky hose doesn't contaminate the batch - a plate chiller or counterflow is the closest to a plug-and-play solution for this.

Scaling up the IWC for 10gal batches is going to cost me anyway so I'm considering the plate chiller. What I'd like to know is if people are happy with their equipment?

Fermenting: Berliner Dunkelweisse; Schwarzbier; DFH India Brown Ale Clone; Belgian Pale Ale
Aging: Brett'd Old Ale; Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse; Flander's Red; Oud Bruin
On Tap: Pumpkin Lambic; Southern English Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Derp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my plate chiller. I can take 10 gallons from boiling to ~ tapwater temperature in about 15 minutes using a pump. Our tapwater is 80 degrees in the summer and I hate fooling around with ice, so I just put the carboys in my fermentation chamber and pitch the next morning.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you have a IWC (which I'm interpreting as immersion whirlpool chiller) why is there hands-on stirring?

And with a plate chiller, there's still going to be lots of hoses in addition to extra cleaning. I like mine, but there are pros and cons to each.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Plate chillers are sweet, but there is in my opinion a ton more cleaning and whatnot involved. Lots of flushing and backflushing. Plus if you brew hoppy beers you'll probably need a solution to keep hop gunk from clogging up the chiller. To be honest I rather wish I had a Chillzilla counterflow chiller than my non-name plate chiller. I've used a buddies and it worked flawlesssly.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
BobTheFourth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty happy with mine - a Chillhog 4000. I haven't found it difficult to clean, but I use a hop spider to keep the hop gunk out - I imagine it'd clog easily otherwise. It will cool a 5-gallon batch in 5 minutes or so easily when recirculated using a pump. I actually have to be careful not to over-shoot my target pitching temperature.

Without a pump, I'm not sure I'd bother though. I originally was using it to cool straight-through using gravity. The wort had to be flowing at a trickle for it to reach 70 degrees. I think my immersion chiller was actually faster.

To clean, I typically run hot Straight A through it forwards and backwards for 10 minutes each way. Then I empty it, flush it with hot water, empty it again, then fill it with Star-San and cap the inlet and outlet.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Arrheinous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm looking at the 40 and 60 plate Duda Diesel chillers.

I'll be doing gravity fed for now.

Fermenting: Berliner Dunkelweisse; Schwarzbier; DFH India Brown Ale Clone; Belgian Pale Ale

Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Arrheinous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
If you have a IWC (which I'm interpreting as immersion whirlpool chiller) why is there hands-on stirring?

And with a plate chiller, there's still going to be lots of hoses in addition to extra cleaning. I like mine, but there are pros and cons to each.
I'm stirring to circulate the wort around the coil. Otherwise just the wort near the chiller is getting cooled which slows the process.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

So it's not really an IWC, then?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Thomsen1287
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the blingman therminator, I gravity feed right now with plans to integrate a pump to recirculate, but using a simple prechiller on my water I can gravity feed wide open from boiling to ~ 70 - 73 degrees as fast as it will drain roughly one gallon per min

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That's definitely still an IWC I think. Lots of folks stir a bit with an immersion chiller to either whirpool or just to get the immersed coil in contact with all of the wort.

Quick Reply