Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Yellow stains in primary fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
rcd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yellow stains in primary fermenter?

Forgive the noob question, but I recently finished my first batch ever, and I noticed there is a yellow stain from the 5 gallon mark on downwards to the bottom of my primary fermentation plastic bucket. I washed both the fermentation bucket and the bottling bucket after bottling, and the bottling bucket looks okay. Today I tried bleach and b-brite in the primary fermenter though, and it's still yellow...

is that normal? will it affect future brews? or must it be completely removed and restored to white before I can proceed?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I was concerned about that myself after my first brew. I was told by many to not worry about it and that it was normal. As long as you thoroughly cleaned it and sanitize it before your next batch you will be fine. You should not have any flavors or odors imparted to your next batch.

FWIW, I once used my fermenting bucket to clean some items with PBW (powdered brewery wash). I left them soaking overnight. I then forgot about them and left the stuff soaking in the bucket for about 4-5 days. When I dumped out the PBW solution and rinsed everything, the stain and odor in the bucket was completely gone.

John

Old 07-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

A. Sounds like you have a serious case of hop contamination. If you love BMC, you have no choice but to throw the bucket out.
A1. If you look closely at a whole hop, you will notice the resins are bright yellow.
B. Leave the bleach in over-night. This is the only time I use bleach.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
rcd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
A. Sounds like you have a serious case of hop contamination. If you love BMC, you have no choice but to throw the bucket out.
A1. If you look closely at a whole hop, you will notice the resins are bright yellow.
B. Leave the bleach in over-night. This is the only time I use bleach.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. You're saying that the batch I just made is ruined? Or that the bucket itself needs to be thrown away?

Also, what is BMC?

So you're saying this isn't normal in brewing?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
Alembic
Recipes 

I think what he is saying is that you are making some good beer with some good ingredients! BMC = bud miller coors. If you like the flavorless swill then throw the bucket away because you shouldn't be homebrewing.
However, if you like homebrewing some great beer then keep on brewing and just bleach your bucket if the color bothers you.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
rcd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembic
I think what he is saying is that you are making some good beer with some good ingredients! BMC = bud miller coors. If you like the flavorless swill then throw the bucket away because you shouldn't be homebrewing.
However, if you like homebrewing some great beer then keep on brewing and just bleach your bucket if the color bothers you.
oh, cool

with regard to bleaching the bucket, if the color doesn't bother me, is it necessary? a friend of mine said bleaching is generally bad for plastic (denatures it or something).

thanks again

Old 07-28-2006, 04:25 AM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Actually, I was saying that if you like flavorless swill, then you should throw the bucket away, because the stain might give a BMC-like beer some flavor. Sometimes the humor is lost.

The stain won't be a problem. About the only time I bleach mine is after a batch of Revenge.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #8
rcd
Recipes 

oh I gotcha now. Thanks David :]

Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Would a non-food-grade bucket get heavier stains or stain easier?

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Why would you use a non-food grade bucket? All of my Home Depot buckets, for example, are not as smooth inside, lots of places for nasties to hide out, and I imagine that if anything they are even more oxygen-permeable.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply