New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Yeast starter flask size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
mjs483
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter flask size?

I'm new to yeast starters and I'm trying to figure out which size pyrex/erlenmeyer flask size I should buy to do starters in. I'd like to be able to do up to 2 (maybe even 3) liter starters. I'm assuming that a 2000ml flask is does not have enough head space for a 2 liter starter....is this true? I'd like to know before I spend the money on a pricey 4000ml - 5000ml flask. Are there other alternatives to the flasks that are just as good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You wouldn't want to start with 2 liters anyway so you're not going to have explosive krausen. You'd start smaller and build it up. I just got my first flask, 2 liters... and it seems a little big to be honest. It will barely fit on my DIY stirplate in the works. I think for most 10 gallon batches, a 1 liter would be fine. I might go 1.5 with an Imperial somethingorother. A 4 liter starter is like half a batch size.. you might as well pitch on a yeast cake.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Last edited by Bobby_M; 01-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like my 5 litre flask from morebeer. Gives me lots of head room, and my experience is I need 1 litre of space. A 3 litre starter is good for higher gravity beer, I harvest the rest for future use.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cymar has some good flask deals.
http://www.cynmar.com/productdetails/11533101.aspx

Check out Jamil's page for everything you want to know about pitch size. See the Yeast Pitch Rate Calculator.

http://www.mrmalty.com/

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
mjs483
Recipes 

Thanks for the links, that one on how to make a starter is actually an excerpt from the book I'm using to learn about how to make a starter =)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
mjs483
Recipes 

Also, Bobby M, I don't understand why I wouldn't want to start with 2 liters. You mentioned "building up to 2 liters". According to the above link and the book I have, to make a 2 liter starter I'd add water to 200 grams of DME until I have 2 liters total. Then boil etc etc.

It also says that a 2 liter starter generally doubles the cell count in a white labs vial or smack pack. So if I have a recipe that calls for 2 vials of yeast (which I do) then I could use 2 vials alone or make a 2 liter starter from 1 vial. Is that right or am I missing something? I don't wanna end up with franken-yeast...

Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs483 View Post
Also, Bobby M, I don't understand why I wouldn't want to start with 2 liters. You mentioned "building up to 2 liters". According to the above link and the book I have, to make a 2 liter starter I'd add water to 200 grams of DME until I have 2 liters total. Then boil etc etc.

It also says that a 2 liter starter generally doubles the cell count in a white labs vial or smack pack. So if I have a recipe that calls for 2 vials of yeast (which I do) then I could use 2 vials alone or make a 2 liter starter from 1 vial. Is that right or am I missing something? I don't wanna end up with franken-yeast...
I know Bobby M knows a lot more about brewing than I do, but what he wrote also contradicted what I have been told and read.

I brew 11 gallon batches, split that into two fermenters. I make two 2L starters (one for each fermenter) and pitch the slurry after decanting most of the beer. I also use stirplates and foam control (fermcap). I have not had a problem with overflow since I started using the fermcap. All of the high-gravity beers I have made this way have come out excellent. OG's have ranged from 1.084 down to about 1.060. Also, I have pitched the slurry cold with no negative results. Some people (Denny Conn) even advocate pitching cold.

To sum it up, I like the 2L size and would like to add a 5L to step-up for those really big beers.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 2154

I started with a 4L flask. I don't know how the heck I would have made a 2L work. For 10g batches, I grow a lot of yeast (4L, decant, 4 more).

Also, if you boil in the flask, you'll want a large one to avoid boilovers.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedash View Post
I know Bobby M knows a lot more about brewing than I do, but what he wrote also contradicted what I have been told and read.

I brew 11 gallon batches, split that into two fermenters. I make two 2L starters (one for each fermenter) and pitch the slurry after decanting most of the beer. I also use stirplates and foam control (fermcap). I have not had a problem with overflow since I started using the fermcap. All of the high-gravity beers I have made this way have come out excellent. OG's have ranged from 1.084 down to about 1.060. Also, I have pitched the slurry cold with no negative results. Some people (Denny Conn) even advocate pitching cold.

To sum it up, I like the 2L size and would like to add a 5L to step-up for those really big beers.
I've been doing almost exactly what you describe for a long time with excellent results. I often pitch cold and always do so for lagers.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I started with a 4L flask. I don't know how the heck I would have made a 2L work. For 10g batches, I grow a lot of yeast (4L, decant, 4 more).

Also, if you boil in the flask, you'll want a large one to avoid boilovers.
I boil in 2 liter flasks regularly and typically fill them in excess of 2200 ml to just below the narrow neck level. I do use foam control. I also use a small hot plate to heat the flask. I know what setting will bring the wort to a boil without causing a boil over.

Quick Reply