Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   WTF...Broken caps on sanitizer. (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/wtf-broken-caps-sanitizer-37829/)

olllllo 09-04-2007 01:28 AM

WTF...Broken caps on sanitizer.
 
1 Attachment(s)
This just happened on my StarSan. I just finished a bottle of Iodaphor with the same problem.
Tightened that cap and it split!

@#$%*^%&%^$!

c.n.budz 09-04-2007 01:32 AM

The bottles of Iodophor that I've had delivered from MoreBeer always come with clear packing tape around the caps, I wonder if it's a problem they know about and use the tape to prevent it...

Or maybe you just need to lay off the spinach there popeye...:D

Iordz 09-04-2007 01:33 AM

Man, how hard did you tighten it?

talleymonster 09-04-2007 01:33 AM

Easy there, Muscles!

olllllo 09-04-2007 01:52 AM

I think the caps get dried out easily.

AiredAle 09-04-2007 01:53 AM

This is a common problem with strong chemicals packaged in polyolefins, it's called environmental stress cracking. I have complained to my LHBS about this, and pointed out that the problem has been solved by most polymer suppliers, so that Five Star needs to get get different caps. My last bottle came with a black cap, so maybe they have already fixed the problem.

Dude 09-04-2007 02:47 AM

That has happened to me before.

A hint--buy the big brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide at Walmart for 2 dollars and use the caps from those. Perfect fit and they don't crack like the star-san ones do.

EdWort 09-04-2007 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude
That has happened to me before.

A hint--buy the big brown bottles of hydrogen peroxide at Walmart for 2 dollars and use the caps from those. Perfect fit and they don't crack like the star-san ones do.

Thanks! My 32 oz bottle of Starsan gave me a cracked lid within two week. I swapped lids and taped it down. Now I'm more gentle, but live the peroxide cap idea.

Dude 09-04-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdWort
Thanks! My 32 oz bottle of Starsan gave me a cracked lid within two week. I swapped lids and taped it down. Now I'm more gentle, but live the peroxide cap idea.

Paying essentiually 2 bucks for a cap sucks, but star-san is like gold. :D

EdWort 09-04-2007 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude
Paying essentiually 2 bucks for a cap sucks, but star-san is like gold. :D

Yeah, but I want to keep the bottle cause I have a gallon of the stuff that I bought in January for $26.

It should last me a few years. :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.