The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Would this Chilling idea work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
mhermetz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Would this Chilling idea work?

I think I'd rather do this then create a CFC, as long as it will work ofcourse.

The reason being I have my old bottling bucket sitting around; I never used it since I keg. Since it's taking up space anyway, I might as well put it to good use.

I will still need to re-coil my Immersion chiller to fit the bucket. Right now the coils are really close together, but i figure for the wort to effectively cool off they shouldn't be close together using this method. I want as much cold water surrounding the copper piping as possible.

Another reason, I think this will save water.

Quick question though. How do you assemble quick disconnects? I think it would be a good idea to have one on the hose connecting the BK to the chiller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think this would work great! I think you'd want to stir the ice bath while draining, that would maximize the cooling potential. And you're right, you'd only need about 5 gallons of water versus maybe 20-100 gallons (depending on tap water temp and flow rate).

Can't help you with the quick disconnects though. Sorry.

PS Like your drawing, and the proper labeling of "Bling"!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've often thought of something similar. What stopped me I am not sure a 5 gallon container is enough ice water and the hassle of sanitizing the inside of the chiller and being very careful not to get any trub in the chiller, thereby creating a blockage.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's gonna take a lot of ice.

Dropping 5.5 gallons of water from 212 to 68 F requires 7 million Joules. 7 million joules is roughly equivalent to melting 45 lbs of ice.

Granted, you'll have some water in there, and the ice will have to warm a bit to hit 32F, but figure on at least 40 lbs assuming for inefficiencies. That's what The Pol had to use for his Icy Herms.

Note also that 45 lbs of ice probably won't fit into a 5 gallon bucket with a coil in it, so you'll need a bigger bucket, or you'll need to be constantly adding new ice and draining off meltwater, but then you'll be losing more efficiency by dumping cool water.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanselv View Post
I've often thought of something similar. What stopped me I am not sure a 5 gallon container is enough ice water and the hassle of sanitizing the inside of the chiller and being very careful not to get any trub in the chiller, thereby creating a blockage.
These concerns would be the same as if using the CFC, so not really a deal breaker.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJR View Post
you'd only need about 5 gallons of water versus maybe 20-100 gallons (depending on tap water temp and flow rate).
For point of referance, the first 2 gallons I run through my IC is really hot and I save in the sink for clean up. When the temp drops, the next 5 gal goes into a culligan bottle for further cleanup or I save it to brew with. After that 7 gallons, my wort is 80 ish degrees. I transfer to my primary and let sit to pitching temp.

I don't use 20 gal between brewing, chilling and cleanup.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are commercial counterflow heat exchangers that work exactly that way.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
mhermetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

okay I'm going to try it...

If it doesn't cool down by the time it reaches the fermenter I will just use a trusty Ice Bath. I'm pretty sure it will though. I'm severly reducing the surface area of the hot wort, which should lead to faster cooling even without it being submerged in cold water.

I guess I could always do a dry-(maybe "wet")-run of this first with just hot water.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Are you going to be using a pump? I didn't notice that in the drawings. I'm not sure if a gravity feed siphon will be enough force to liquid through the IC and into the carboy. It might if everything including the carboy is lower than the previous components. I have never tried it though.

Last edited by binaryc0de; 02-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryc0de View Post
Are you going to be using a pump? I didn't notice that in the drawings. I'm not sure if a gravity feed siphon will be enough force to liquid through the IC and into the carboy. It might I have never tried it though.

I'd be concerned with that, too, depending on how high your boil kettle is. If you have a pump, and if the wort being pumped out is NOT at 68°, you always have the option of recirculating for a while.

Personally, I'd just buy/build a CFC. The "counter" part is key for quickly wicking away the heat from the wort. This design, you'll be constantly adding ice, stirring, etc. The "waste" hot water from the CFC, have that exit into your bucket and use that for cleaning, if efficiency is a concern.

EDIT: My other concern, without a pump it's not as easy to get the inside of the tubing as clean/sanitize. With a pump, you can easily circulate PBW/Oxiclean and your sanitizer. But, I know people who use CFC gravity-fed, so it CAN be done w/o a pump, it's just got to be trickier.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply