Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Worth the investment..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Worth the investment..?

This is my fermentor:

Made of polycarbonite plastic.. tough as nails and light as a feather. Completely see thru for all your yeast voyeuristic needs.

They also clean REAL easy.. no brushes needed, just a cotton rag and some iodine.

I have been considering reproducing something similar that would fit perfectly in a kitchen sink. It would have handles built in amoungst other additional changes and features.

Does anyone think there would be a market against carboys, better bottles, buckets and the like..? A a retail of say $59.99 (Would include the spout, vent, top and bottle)

Getting some investors together, and contemplating a kickstart program.

All I can say is that I started my brewing hobby with one, and have looked for a second for a while. They haven't been easy to find and those that I have talked to that have had one wouldn't give it up, just as I wouldn't give up mine.

So.. Whats everyone think.. worth the pursuit..? If not at $59.99 what do you think a good price point would be to have them flying off the shelves ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Hmm...I have to confess: I'm not sure I get it. $60 is a lot for a plastic jug. Why would I want this over a better bottle at half the price (or a bucket at next to nothing)?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Pratzie

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

How big of a batch could that handle? Anything under 3 gallon and I think it might be a bit high.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2700 Times on 2091 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I don't think that is something most brewers would purchase. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $15-20 for one. New brewers usually are looking to get into the hobby for cheap, and seasoned brewers typically have many fermenters. A $10 ale bucket seems to be perfect for me, I have ten of them.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
allgrainpa
Recipes 

There are too many people and proven science that shows a glass carboy can do just as good if not better. $60 sounds a bit high for a plastic jug. Although the wide mouth is appealing overall ill stick with my glass carboy anyday.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Or $10 for a BB or a Vintage Shop from Craigslist, used.
I found that these PET 'boys are easy to scrub with a Kleenex pad on the end of a Swiffer wand. (Terlit bowl cleaner)
Actually, the price is justified. Polycarbonate is EXPENSIVE. It is what eyeglass lenses and fighter aircraft canopies are made of. Overkill?
It gets worse: Polycarbonate plastic has a bad rep for releasing a supposedly-troublesome chemical called bisphenol A into the contents.
It has been blamed for causing an slow, insideous disgust for beer. Yes, I have had a few.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
TNTgill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I wouldn't be interested in it at all. Buckets are bigger and cheaper, like 5 times cheaper. I bought my first kit (thru groupon from Midwest) for 65 buck with a recipe kit and $25 coupon for another recipe kit. I would think your market would be people just starting out or as gifts. Just doesn't seem practical to me as someone a little more seasoned but to the person starting out it might be nice.

Reason: *recipe kits

Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
Longrange2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For $60 I can get a really nice Speidel 30 liter fermenter with airlock, nice built in handles and a large opening to make dry hopping and other late additions a breeze.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

THANKS for all the input.. I will try to make my argument.. and don't take anything as combative and I wont. I am looking for devils advocate. I sure don't want to wast my time and money if it wouldnt be worth it. (Thus the thread)

So.. let me address comments.

1) It would hold 30L (6-7 gal)

2) Unlike a bucket it has no chance of being scratched and causing infections.

3) Cleaning it requires no brushes so unlike BB it stands no chance of infection due to scratches.

4) Unlike a bucket you can see if fermentation is occurring without opening and exposing to risk of infection.

5) Requires a rag to clean, no brushes, no special anything. You can get down in there and clean it easily.

6) Unlike carboy has a spigot no need to siphon, just let gravity do the work (THeres a reason BB has a spigot)

7) Low profile, unlike carboy, bucket and BB its only 14" or so tall. Easily fits in Almost any frig.

8) Designed to fit in a sink almost perfectly, so cooling wort, cleaning, etc.. is easier.

9) MUCH cheaper than SS options (Although I love my SS caverns for secondary)

10) This would be great for the guy with limited room, a small kitchen, etc..

11) Same concept as Spiedel EXCEPT its clear to see thru. (BTW same price $60 and Volume at 30L). (My design would have inset handles.. its not identical to the above.. the above is an example of what I am thinking of)

12) Could go with a PET thats BPA free as opposed to a PolyCarb plastic.. I was thinking PC due to clarity and strength. THere is FDA grade PolyCard that does not release BPA.

OK that said.. $59.99 was a number.. ( I havent priced everything )

BB for 6 Gal goes for $29.. would you get this over a BB if it were priced the same or a few dollars more (Say $39) (Remember.. no need to buy brushes, bungs, etc.. )

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Why wouldn't it scratch? Polycarbonate will generally scratch.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply