New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort Wizard Motorless Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
teu1003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wort Wizard Motorless Pump

I'm curious whether any of you have used this device that MoreBeer has in its catalog. I'm trying to find a way to use a counterflow chiller without the hassle of buying/mounting/maintaining a motor. The price is right and if it works well I'd like to try it instead of the 40 minute immersible chiller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never used a CFC, but I've seen others do it...and it's my understanding you can just use gravity, rather than a pump, to get the wort to flow through it. Anyone have any input on that?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It will be SLOOWWW if you just use gravity. Despite the hassle, you want it to go fast so that you don't have 200+ degree wort in the kettle for very long.

There are lots of threads on here about successfully using the wort wizard with CFC's. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Here is a good thread about a DIY solution:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=277389

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've run my CFC using gravity a couple times now. It works but it definitely slows down once the levels get closer to equalizing. If you have some means of getting your kettle up high, you can increase the power of the siphon.

One of the downfalls of the wort wizard and similar DIY versions is that you have to run your cooling water relatively fast. That's fine in the summer when you would do it anyway. In the winter, my cooling water can trickle through to get the wort down to 65.

With everything considered, I'm buying a march pump. There are just so many additional things you can do with it in addition to pumping through the CFC.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

I use a wort wizard. I actually picked one up from Petsmart for ~ $7. I think it's called a python or something like that. My kettle valve is lower than the top of my carboy but there's more than enough vacuum to bring the wort through the CFC and a post-chiller and up to the carboy cap. I use hose clamps on all of my hoses so there's no vacuum break. I can actually run the water hose fairly slow and still get the vacuum I need, but I let it water the grass anyway so I don't bother. It usually takes 15-20 mins to get 5.5 gals down to 70' and into the carboy. If your ground water is hot, then you'll still need a pre-chiller or post-chiller.

I'm going to buy a March pump, too, but not just for transferring the wort through the chiller. There are other things I want to use it for as well. An added benefit is that I'll be able to go to Better Bottles. The vacuum of the wort wizard will crush a Better Bottle - you have to use glass.

Last edited by Lil' Sparky; 06-26-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Right on. Just to expand on the other things you can do...

Recirculate your mash whether you dirct heat or herms it.
Transfer wort between HLT and MLT and then MLT to Kettle for batch spargers on a single tier setup (You'd need a two-tier or two pumps if you fly sparge). Then you can also decide later to do kettle recirculated immersion chilling like Jamil (the most winning brewer in the nationals this year so he must be doing something right).

I figure a single pump with a whole mess of quick disconnects just takes a lot of obstacles out of brewing. Looking at the sunk costs of my brewing addiction thus far, the $100 pump is like an additional 5%.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply