New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort Chillers - Immersion vs. Counterflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
dekeduffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort Chillers - Immersion vs. Counterflow

I started brewing initially using ice baths to chill my wort. I was able to step-up to a hand-me-down immersion wort chiller about 2 years ago and I have been using that.

I'm looking into potentially picking up some new equipment. What are some of the benefits of immersion vs. counterflow wort chillers? I'm assuming time is the biggest factor, but wonder if there is more. Or if there are any requirements in using counterflow (need a pump, different connects, etc)?

If there is another thread that already covers this I wasn't able to find, please point me there.

Primary: Empty
Secondary 1: Doppelbock
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale from Northern Brewer and Oatmeal Stout from Joy of Homebrewing
Drinking: Home brew, Goose Island Mild Winter and White Russians

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Wort_chiller

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There was just another thread on this. The main advantage of the immersion chiller is that it gets the WHOLE batch down at the same time thus reducing the window for DMS production. Also you get the cold break and can let it settle in the kettle. I don't know how much this is theoretical versus practical since many people seem to use all sorts of chillers to good effect.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a plate chiller from http://www.dudadiesel.com/ and gravity feed it to my fermenter. No issues so far, I use a nylon paint strainer bag as a hop sock. It takes me roughly 6mins to chill 5gals to pitching temps.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I use a home built all copper CFC and recirculate into the kettle until I'm under 150 on the input side (under DMS formation stage). Then I flow to fermenter. Obviously this requires a pump. Including the recirculating stage the entire volume of wort is at pitching temperature faster than with an immersion chiller.

Both types of chillers work fine...

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
dekeduffy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I use a plate chiller from http://www.dudadiesel.com/ and gravity feed it to my fermenter. No issues so far, I use a nylon paint strainer bag as a hop sock. It takes me roughly 6mins to chill 5gals to pitching temps.
Where does the hop sock go? I'm not familiar with what that is?

Primary: Empty
Secondary 1: Doppelbock
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale from Northern Brewer and Oatmeal Stout from Joy of Homebrewing
Drinking: Home brew, Goose Island Mild Winter and White Russians

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
punk_rockin2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeduffy View Post
Where does the hop sock go? I'm not familiar with what that is?
On the hop foot, duhhhh. It holds the hops during the boil so you can pull out all of the hop sludge before sending it to the fermenter. wyzazz uses it (probably) so the plate chiller doesn't get clogged w/hops after the first 10 seconds.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
JohnnyO
Meh.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 473

I just did my first batch with an immersion chiller. Up to this point, I have been using water and ice baths to chill my wort. When doing a full boil, it would take up to 2-2 1/2 hours to chill the wort barely down to pitching temps.

Holy Shnikeys!! With the immersion chiller, I was at pitching temp in 15 minutes. Absolutely amazing!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Immersion chillers are simple, and work about as well as CFC or plate chillers IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF the wort is constantly being exchanged over the surface of the chiller (via a pump or manual/motor drive stirring).

CFCs and plate chillers chill quickly but leave much of the wort hot for a while (perhaps contributing to DMS but almost certainly muting hop aroma from flameout additions). However if you recirculate with a pump, you can chill the whole volume quickly.

So the lesson to be learned is that all chillers have advantages and that the many of the disadvantages to any chiller can be solved with a handy march pump.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This is down to personal preference of course. An immersion chiller is probably the most versatile. You can bring it to a friends house and use it no problem. The biggest performance factor with ALL chiller types is the temp of the incoming coolant and they can all benefit from icewater pumped with a pond pump unless your house water is 50F year round.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply