Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > wort chiller and water/wort transfer questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
chemist308
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default wort chiller and water/wort transfer questions

So, I made my own wort chiller today with about 30' of 3/8" copper tubing I had left over from home projects. I rigged it so it hooks directly to a garden hose inlet. My question is should I somehow be feeding this thing with an ice water bath, or is my well cold water fine?

As for my wort pot, I really don't want to drill holes in a beautiful $100 stainless steel pot with a steamer insert, but I will if I absolutely have to. I was thinking I could transfer hot water from that, and hot wort back to it via siphoning with good quality silicone tubing. Does anyone else do this?

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1138 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Measure the temperature of your well water. If it's under 60F, it's gonna be fine.

While you could siphon over the top of the kettle using a copper or stainless cane, but the spigot is a nice way to get it going with gravity.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply