Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort Chiller into boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default Wort Chiller into boil?

I'm just curious what people do with their wort chiller...Bought my equipment from Midwest and their little instructional video said to add the wort chiller to the last 10 mins of the boil to sanitize. I did that on my first batch and it almost stopped the boil completely(electric stove didn't help!). the brew came out just fine but i'm curious to know what others do. do you guys clean and sanitize it like anything else and just add it after the boil or do people add their chiller to the boil to sanitize.

thanks!

Secondary: RIS(aging port wine soaked oak spirals); Oktoberfast; Winter Warmer
Up Next: Coffee Porter
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
CityOChampBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I just leave my wort chiller "chilling" in starsan the whole time I'm brewing.. The way I see it is that if its not in the boil it can chill a little fasted as the copper doesn't also have to drop in temp

Kegged empty

Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I boil it for 15 minutes, and yes- it will lower your wort temp as soon as you put it in. If you happen to use a faucet and hose adapter, try running hot water through the chiller before it goes in the kettle. I've found that preheating helps maintain the boil. Kyle

Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
manofleisure
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I stick my chiller into my bottling bucket filled with Starsan while my boil is finishing up. I also take this chance to get my chiller connected to the bathroom faucet and make sure I don't have any leaks. (I can't fit a hose adapter onto my kitchen sink since it has a pullout sprayer, so I need to haul my brew kettle about 15 feet over to the bathroom sink to use the wort chiller. Good thing I like to do small batches.)

Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I dont do anything, I just put it in the wort post boil for a few minutes and I never had an infection so far. I do how ever make sure I clean it off with hot or warm water and then I let it sit in a sanitizing solution, just in case.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
mikronmagic
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'd suggest putting it in 10-15 minutes before the end of the boil. You could put it in starsan to disinfect it, but there are some advantages to having it in the boil. Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer had a brewstrong podcast that discusses how good copper is for your wort (Added in the boil, never ferment in it). The copper helps grow healthier yeast, and also reacts with some of the sulfur components to reduce the amount of sulfur in your final beer. And to put your mind to rest, the state of California did several tests to find how much residual copper was left in the beer due to a copper boil kettle. Supposedly they couldn't find any residual copper in the finished product, it all either drops out into the trub or is absorbed by the yeast (and drops out).

Conan above had a good point that you can always preheat your chiller, maybe even throw it in another pot with boiling water if you have the space.

Podcast: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/B...fect-Your-Beer

Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I boil it for 15 minutes, and yes- it will lower your wort temp as soon as you put it in. If you happen to use a faucet and hose adapter, try running hot water through the chiller before it goes in the kettle. I've found that preheating helps maintain the boil. Kyle
I agree, run hot water through it first, then put it in 10 - 15 min before it's done.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I keep sanitizer and/or cleaner in my primaries until needed for use. The sanitizer then goes into a bottling bucket with the chiller early while water is heating. After the session the remaining sanitizer is disposed of or, if it is a cleaner, may go into a tub of bottles for hard cleaning after fortifying it a little. I often use some to mop up the floor. No need to waste anything.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 116

NOTHING needs to be boiled for 10-15 minutes to be sanitized!! In 180 F + water bacteria and wild yeast die instantly.

Personally I throw mine in whenever I remember to, at 10 minutes to flame out, sometimes just 2 or 3 minutes before, yes the boil will die down for a few seconds but that's no big deal.

Quick Reply