Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort chiller design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
jordanlee05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort chiller design

I've been designing a wort chiller in my head for a while now (finally switched to 5 gallon boils). I had one of those "eureka" moments this afternoon and have been trying to blow holes in this design for the last couple hours. I was wondering if anyone else would mind taking a look?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14682795@N02/2730053298/

(sorry, not sure how to post pictures from flickr)

Basically, it will siphon the wort from the brew pot and run it through a (copper/aluminum) coil that is sitting in a 0C ice water slurry. The slurry will most likely be in an old cooler I can modify a bit. From here, it continues to siphon right into the primary fermenter.

I figure it eliminates the need to be near a sink. I've been trying to move outside so I don't stink up the apartment anymore.

It wouldn't be that hard to sanitize either, just need to siphon some sanitizer through it and hit the two ends.

I still need to figure out the length of coil and material to get it to come out at around the right temp. That shouldn't be too hard once I find my old thermo books.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
ExpertBrewers
Recipes 

The water would most likely heat up really quickly. Any heat you take out of the wort is going straight into that water.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
jordanlee05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertBrewers View Post
The water would most likely heat up really quickly. Any heat you take out of the wort is going straight into that water.
Damn...works out to about 45 pounds of ice. Going by the differences in heat of fusion (333J/g) and heat capacity of water (4.18J/g*degreeC) I didn't think that would have been an issue. Those pesky laws of thermodynamics are a pain.

We used a somewhat similar design to cool keg beer at one of my jobs. 8 pounds of ice was generally enough for at least 1 keg. Guess the temperature change wasn't nearly as large in that case though.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Around here, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't believe that by making one pass through your chiller the end result will be 75*. I hook a hose up to my chiller to take it down to 100*, and then switch it over to a large tub of ice water with a pond pump that gets it to 75*. Whole process takes about 15-20 minutes with the water re-cycling through the chiller. With it only making one pass and then into your carboy, the wort is still going to be hot.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have the equipment to give this a try? I have been thinking along these same lines of design and would be interested if your idea works.

Your design is not much different from this one:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73315

The main difference is the counter-flow sleeve.

I say give a try and report back.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply