Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > wort chiller design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
brewdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wort chiller design

Hey all ! After what i will reluctantly refer to as my 1st attempt failure to chill my wort using the Ole snow bank and spooning the wort, I've been reading alot of post on chillers as well as looking into whats on the market for sale, I've decided to design and produce the ultimate chiller.
I guarantee it will do a great job, it will be solid and not the typical coil design, which i believe to be flawed. All I'll say is from what I've seen all the chillers address the matter of cooling the wort from the outer edges, my intention is to approach not only the outer edges but the center as well. Now what i need to know is, is there a such thing as cooling the wort to fast ? the answer to this question will determine certain particulars in my design. After its been built and tested I'll gladly post my design prints and pic's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i don't believe it is possible to cool it too rapidly. There are some fancy-schmancy radiator chillers out there that will cool 10 gallons of boiling hot wort in 5 minutes. I've cooled 3 gallons in just a few mintes with ice blocks.

Go for it!

Old 02-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I would love to see a design when you get it finished. I have a chiller I made already, but one that works even better wouldn't be a bad investment.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 02-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
brewdude
Recipes 

Walker , could you direct me to these chillers you mentioned ? dont want to waist time doing something already done, even though i'ld make myself one reguardless .
i'ld be doing strickly 5 gal batch's for now and 10 gal in 5 minutes wouldnt be bad at all but as limited as my plans are at this stage, i'ld be realisticly thinking 5 gallons in 1 minute. I know thats likely to be pushing things and even possibley a far streach of my emagination , but only time will tell ?
My intention for joining this forum is to exstact useful infor and as i exspected i would i have done so , now for my part i'll try to be a possitive contributor and in my limited knowlage and despite my enability to spell i am nonetheless a person who loves the tinker and invent things, so just wish me luck and maybe a few of us here will benifit from my endevours.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdude
could you direct me to these chillers you mentioned?
Northern Brewer has the following chiller styles available:

Immersion Chiller w/tubing leads
Immersion Chiller w/garden hose fittings
Immersion Chiller for 10-20 gallons
Phil's Counterflow Chiller (garden hose)
Chillzilla Counterflow Wort Chiller (convoluted)
Therminator (plate-type wort chiller)

Then there’s the Chill Wizard

The only idea not listed is the pre-chiller. This uses a second Immersion Chiller set in icewater and salt to pre-chill faucet water before it hits the wort.

Does your idea include convoluted tubing within another convoluted tubing all within a larger tube? This could alow the wort (running through the second convoluted tubing) to be chilled on the inside and out.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 02-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdude
Hey all ! After what i will reluctantly refer to as my 1st attempt failure to chill my wort using the Ole snow bank and spooning the wort, I've been reading alot of post on chillers as well as looking into whats on the market for sale, I've decided to design and produce the ultimate chiller.
I guarantee it will do a great job, it will be solid and not the typical coil design, which i believe to be flawed. All I'll say is from what I've seen all the chillers address the matter of cooling the wort from the outer edges, my intention is to approach not only the outer edges but the center as well. Now what i need to know is, is there a such thing as cooling the wort to fast ? the answer to this question will determine certain particulars in my design. After its been built and tested I'll gladly post my design prints and pic's.
I wouldn't say that a coiled counterflow chiller is flawed, in fact mine is very efficient. Cools from 90C to 15 C in the time it takes the wort to flow throught the chiller. As for the question on cooling to fast, this is exactly what you want to achieve as you want to get the wort past that temperature window during which spoiling microbes can get a grip. The faster the better!

I am intrigued by your "ultimate chiller" though...keep us posted with build progress pictures etc...

Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
Does your idea include convoluted tubing within another convoluted tubing all within a larger tube? This could alow the wort (running through the second convoluted tubing) to be chilled on the inside and out.
How would you reliably clean something like this if the wort is flowing THROUGH the tubing?

-walker

Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
How would you reliably clean something like this if the wort is flowing THROUGH the tubing?

-walker
Flush through with Oxiclean (soda crystals) and sanitise with star san or iodophor. Also, copper can be cleaned effectively with distilled white vinegar I think. Another method of "sanitising" is to run boiling wort through the chiller (and dump back into boiler) before letting the cold water flow and cooling the wort.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
AHammer16

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlightyBrewer
I wouldn't say that a coiled counterflow chiller is flawed, in fact mine is very efficient. Cools from 90C to 15 C in the time it takes the wort to flow throught the chiller. As for the question on cooling to fast, this is exactly what you want to achieve as you want to get the wort past that temperature window during which spoiling microbes can get a grip. The faster the better!

I am intrigued by your "ultimate chiller" though...keep us posted with build progress pictures etc...
How do you hook up and position you counter flow for use? I built one also but i am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use it well? I figured i would put clear plastic tubing on the copper wort path to connect to my boil kettle to the chiller and the same to connect the chiller to my fermentation vessel. But how do you position it? Just let it hang there or set it on a table above the carboy but below the kettle? If any one can post a pic of it in a mock up i would appreciate it.

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Old 02-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker

-walker
BlightyBrewer is right on the money.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Quick Reply