Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort chiller boil time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
beatlescrazyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wort chiller boil time?

This may seem like a silly question, but is there any reason I can't submerge my copper wort chiller right from the get-go for the whole 60 min boil? In the past I've always submerged it at the 30 min mark. However, I installed a new filter for my kettle and I have to carefully submerge the chiller so I don't break the filter and it's just easier for me to do it before I add the wort. Many Thanks!

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 315

You'll proabably end up with some extra copper in your wort, but other than that it shouldn't hurt anything. Some breweries use copper pots, so a copoper wort chiller shouldn't do any harm. I'm not sure how your hoses will hold up doing this, but if you've already been boiling it for 30 minutes, I guess they can take it.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
beatlescrazyman
Recipes 

Thanks! I can't imagine the copper leeches that much influence on the beer and the hoses are well out of the way of the wort so there's no real concern there.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
gjabball
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

According to John Palmer, copper actually helps with fermentation. Some brewery's that use stainless kettles, add a piece of copper into the boil to add copper to the wort. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply