New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > which wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
newbrewr4fun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default which wort chiller?

Christmas is coming and I am planning on switching to all grain brewing methods. I brew with a partner so 10 gallon batches are going to be needed. I think I have already decided on a convereted keggle for a mash tun. I found on for 230 dollars with all of the bells and whistles, welded fittings etc. I think I know I am getting the Bayou classic burner. My brother in law is hopefully buying the kegging equipment.

I am thinking I might be able to get the Keggle for Chirstmas but that leaves a wort chiller left on the list of things I need. I am trying to find out what is a good buy for 10 gallon batches. Is a counterflow required? Immersion chillers seem much easier to operate and I am a little worried about having to use a counterflow chiller. I am also going to need a large brew pot I suppose so suggestions on something economical there would be nice as well. I don't have the tools to convert a keg myself so I am thinking just a regular 13 gallon stock pot. Maybe I could save up and buy another converted keg down the road. The classic Bayou comes with a big enough pot for sparge water so I am good there. Oh, and what is the largest carboy I would need?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewr4fun View Post
I am thinking I might be able to get the Keggle for Chirstmas but that leaves a wort chiller left on the list of things I need. I am trying to find out what is a good buy for 10 gallon batches. Is a counterflow required? Immersion chillers seem much easier to operate and I am a little worried about having to use a counterflow chiller. I am also going to need a large brew pot I suppose so suggestions on something economical there would be nice as well. I don't have the tools to convert a keg myself so I am thinking just a regular 13 gallon stock pot. Maybe I could save up and buy another converted keg down the road. The classic Bayou comes with a big enough pot for sparge water so I am good there. Oh, and what is the largest carboy I would need?
Immersion chillers are easy to build, and if you do it yourself, can be done fairly cheaply. A lot of people swear by counterflow chillers. There are threads on here on how to make them too. Another option would be to do a plate chiller. I saw some advertised on dudadiesel.com that looked pretty cheap. I think it's just a matter of preference.

As for the stockpot, you can go really cheap and get something aluminum. If you go with a 13 gallon stainless steel pot, you're probably close to paying what you would have paid for a keggle. I bought my 10g SS "economy" pot from Austin Home Brew. You can check them out to compare prices.

Are you doing 10 gallon batches yourself, or will you be splitting it with someone else (you mentioned your BIL)?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Check out Jamil's "whirlpool chiller" on his Mr. Malty website. It is a simple design and wouldn't set you back too much. It utilizes a pump, but you can always begin with the immersion coil and add the pump later.

I hope Santa decides you have been a good little boy!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I made my own ribcage immersion chiler following the directions posted here I would suggest using a converted cooler to use as a mash tun, do your boil in the keggle, and heat your water for the mash in the turkey fryer, that is pretty much my setup for now and it is working great! when money becomes available you can get another keggle or two and a few extra burners as your brewing experience evolves

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I use a CFC for 10 gal batches and I used to use an IC for 5 gal batches. IMO CFC is a better idea for 10 gal batches, because it uses way less water then IC. Although to build mine cost me over $100, and now you can buy plate chillers (same thing) for $100. IC are easy to build but they do use more water and if you want to speed up the process of chilling you need to stir the wort all the time or build some kind of stirring device.

Last edited by Scooby_Brew; 09-10-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I upgraded to 10gal batches and a Counterflow Chiller. It now takes me less than half the time to chill 10gal than it did to chill 5gal with an Immersion Chiller. Got it on Ebay for $75.00. I also purchased the Thermometer manifold from Morebeer and attached to the wort output.
One pass took it from 210 down to 73.
By far my proudest gadget purchase to date....(Actually, my neighbor and brew buddy bought it. But i am still proud of it)

Carboy 1: Shade Tree Brewing - Firewalker DIPA
Carboy 2: Air

Last edited by Hawgbranch; 09-13-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply