Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Word of warning : Don't Leave Full CO2 Tanks in Hot Car!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #81
onlynormalguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My Co2 Story:

My neighbor who works fire suppression offered to bring home a 5lb tank. He put it in his sedan, then got called back inside work for a while. He got back in his car and proceeded to drive away. He started to feel bad, and difficulty breathing. He was able to pull over and get out of car just before beginning to black out, took out his cell and dialed 91_. He started to feel a little better, and then saw the tank in the back seat all frosted up. He rolled down windows/opened doors to air out the car for a while, then got back in to drive home, and it started again(Co2 absorbed in fabric?) He's ok, but only because he was able to pull over so quickly. I told him that I would have a hard time explaining to his wife that he died just so I could have bubbles in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #82
Geohound
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
People use CO2 tanks for filling tires, esp in off-roading applications (something I just recently learned).

I imagine people have them inside vehicles all the time in that application. Not saying there aren't risks, but they can be mitigated.
They are great for reseating a bead on your tires or even running air power tools. I spent many summers with a 20lb Co2 tank in my jeep. Mine was strapped to the roll bar in the baking desert sun. I never had a disk blow or have a single problem. None of my friends who used them did either.

Co2 is different than a scuba tank. The liquid CO2 in the tank change air as the pressure is released. This is why gauges on tanks are next to worthless. They measure pressure not the liquid. This evaporative process slows the pressure release rate meaning that a CO2 tank will not become a high speed rocket like a scuba tank would in the rare event of a valve decapitation.

They are pretty much the same as fire extinguishers which people carry around in their cars all the time.

Heres the place i got the tank from.
http://powertank.com/

The stories where the disk blew sound like an over filled tank to me. That's the only time i've ever heard of a tank bursting its disk.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #83
DBarrett
Recipes 

I witnessed a safety-disk burst on a nitrous tank in a car once. The owner forgot and left the bottle heater on...The pressure built up to 2500-3000psi(about where the factory disks are set to burst). 100 people in the parking lot around the car and nearly everyone jumped out of their shoes.

It could be worse. The disk could fail to blow off:

CO2 is at a much lower pressure though, right? It would probably still do a bit of damage I would assume.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #84
Lazarous
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
PV=nRT
live and learn.
Haha like my chem proff used to say...chemistry is a gas

Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

or acetylene tanks http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=76844.0

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #86
crash1292
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

had the same thing happen on a paintball tank

Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #87
DBarrett
Recipes 

Simply put,

Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #88
DogTail
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Tank Pressure Valve Popped

MY GF got a full tank from a coworker and put it in her jeep for a couple hours while at work in AZ. Came out and the jeep was still full of CO2 and she had to let it air out for a few minutes before even getting in the vehicle. CO2 all released in a confined space like that can be deadly, if you are ever around when one decides to go open a window or go outside, it can suffocate you!

Dogs Tail Brewery

FaceBook Page

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #89
Jamming
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrouStang96 View Post
Easy solution, guys:

I have a 15lb nitrous tank in my trunk 24/7. It's been in there for 8 years. In the middle of summer in South Carolina in months of 100 degree days, I kept a beach towel and a small container of water in the trunk. A soaked towel draped over the top is all that is needed to keep the bottle at normal temps, but if you're really scared (or in my case, need to cool the bottle fast), a little ice water is a quick trick.

When a car is parked outside in the hot sun all day long on a 100+ degree day... I have no idea how hot it must get in the car, but my bottle stayed in usable temps, so it was no where near blowing the safety valve.
Agree. Sounds like to me the pressure relief was weak and not the tank being over filled. You should never have a burst disk rupture on CO2 tank at 100f in a car. My math shows me at least 275f might do it but uncertain. But at 100f its safe in a car filled to max.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #90
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Im not sure what type of tanks everyone has but I drive an HVAC van in southern California heat. I have Co2, Nitrogen, and Oxygen as well as R-22, R-410a, and R 404a. Ive never had any of this happen to me. In fact to do my job it requires carrying this in your vehicle. I have seen some of the Empty Tanks that Homebrew stores sell and I wouldnt trust them. Go to AirGas or another welding/gas store and buy one of their tanks, when its empty they exchange it for a full one, when they full the empty bottles all valves are inspected and tested and are industrial quality and not some china no name brand stuff.. Industrial tanks can take the heat.

Quick Reply