Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Word of warning : Don't Leave Full CO2 Tanks in Hot Car!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #91
huntingohio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

CO2 tanks are not to be fooled with. I used to play paint ball alot, I had one tanl that was giving my gun fits. I unscrewed it and flipped it with the valve up to look at it and determin the problem. Suddenly the burst disk and another piece of brass popped out propelling it from my hand into my foot. A short trip to the hospital later, I found out I had 4 bones in my foot broken.
According to my tanks manufacturer [brass eagle] This was most likely from overfilling at the welding store that filled my tanks, and the fact that the tank was bought 2nd hand, was several years old [9 at the time], never maintaned[wtf is this white stuff on my tank valve] and stored improperly [rattled around in my car trunk in the 3 years I had it].

This tank was only a 20 oz. I wouldnt want to see a snafu with an overpressurized 5lb tank

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #92
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Im not sure what type of tanks everyone has but I drive an HVAC van in southern California heat. I have Co2, Nitrogen, and Oxygen as well as R-22, R-410a, and R 404a. Ive never had any of this happen to me. In fact to do my job it requires carrying this in your vehicle. I have seen some of the Empty Tanks that Homebrew stores sell and I wouldnt trust them. Go to AirGas or another welding/gas store and buy one of their tanks, when its empty they exchange it for a full one, when they full the empty bottles all valves are inspected and tested and are industrial quality and not some china no name brand stuff.. Industrial tanks can take the heat.
I did HVAC for 15years and never heard of co2 tanks blowing, I'd keep 2 or 3 of them on the truck. One guy was blowing down coils on a roof and when he took the tank down it froze to his arm for 2nd degree burns.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #93
rajun50
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a 20 oz paintball tank blow a disc in the back seat of my truck while I was at a McDonald's drive-thru window. That was interesting. I assume it was overfilled since this happened at night with the AC on. That, and I got it filled at Academy Sports, where random Joes do the tank filling. I get my 5lb tank exchanged at the local welding shop, where I have infinitely more confidence my tank is being filled my someone who knows what's up. I still wouldn't want it left in the heat for any length of time.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #94
petree3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I opened up the valve with the wife in the car hoping for just a little spurt but I forgot there was no regulator on the tank and it nearly deafened us both. Not my proudest moment

Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 AM   #95
knyland
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As an avid offroader I keep a 20lb powertank in my jeep 24/7 it has sat through Oklahoma/Arkansas summers (several with temps at 110 or better) and now two North Carolina summers. If your burst disk goes someone messed up. I always use a fire extinguisher place and not a welding shop. For some reason I trust the guys who are crazy regulated over the guy huffing welding fumes.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #96
Minbari
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can speak from personal experience. I used to go paintballing all the time and co2 is used for alot of the guns to propel the balls. heat + co2 = burst disc blown.

co2 pressure is heat dependent. Most co2 tanks are good to about 1800psi.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #97
PKLehmer
Recipes 

It's not a CO2 tank, but my coworker and I almost died transporting some human tissue grafts on dry ice (frozen CO2). We were taking the grafts to a surgery about an hour away, and the doctor didn't use the grafts, so we left the grafts in her little Honda Fit while we went to lunch after the surgery. These are boxes filled with 80 lbs of dry ice, intended to keep the grafts at -40 C for about a week, so stopping for lunch wasn't an issue. On the way home we got about 15 minutes into the drive when both of use started to have a lot of trouble breathing. At first I thought I was having a heartache or something, and then I realized both of us were in trouble, and then my clogged mind suddenly realized what was happening, and I rolled down our windows. It was like someone took a clamp off my lungs and we could breathe fine. We pulled over for a few minutes to literally catch our breath, and then drove home the rest of the way with the windows cracked. But hey, now we made it into our companies safety manual on how to deal with dry ice!

Quick Reply