Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > word to the stupid like me...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
mrduna01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default word to the stupid like me...

Don't put a hot growler of starter wort in an ice bath. It will soon be a growler minus its bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bummer, that sucks ... at least it was in the ice bath and not on your stovetop. Time for a borosilicate flask?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah the only cleanup involved was pulling the stopper in the sink... boiling up another starter now. I would get the flask but I hear they are no good on electric stoves as far as boiling in the flask itself. I suppose I could boil and then dump it in to the flask though. I'm going for ingredients tomorrow I might grab one.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I bought a pyrex flask with the intentions of boiling starter wort in it. I got intense boilovers the first couple times I tried and have since given up...I just boil in a normal cooking pot and transfer to the flask for chilling purposes...

Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I have a glass top electric range and have used my 2000ml flask directly on it twice. I start the heat slowly and increase it after warming up some. I then let it sit for a few minutes, then start with warm water in the sink and run cold water then add ice. I think this should present no problem. I have read that on coil elements the difference between the hot and not hot areas can present a problem. You could put the flask in a pan on the element or get a heat diffuser.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Pyrex flask, straight on the burner cranked up all the way, straight into the fridge on an oven mit. Never had a problem!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I know I can put my flask(s) on the burner (I have a gas range) but I just don't trust it (or me)... I'm still cooking the starter in a SS pot, cooling it in the sink (cold water bath) before pouring into the sanitized flask. I know, I can reduce steps by cooking directly in the flask, I'm just a bit nervous about it. I might do it, if I'm making a starter with enough head space in it (I have a 2L and 3L flask)... I could use fermcap-s in it too. Maybe for the next batch I will...

Either way, IF you're not using something immune to thermal shock (pyrex, etc.) then I wouldn't put hot liquid in it and then put it into ice. I wouldn't even put pyrex into an ice bath. The first time I met a past roomate he had cooked a steak in the oven, in a pyrex pan, which he then put into the sink and opened up the faucet... It shattered. Of course, he was broiling, and was an idiot, but under the right conditions even pyrex will fail from thermal shock.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Usually if I am using the full 2 or 3 liters of the flask, I am stepping the starter up, so it is nowhere near full for the initial boil (so hard, but not impossible to boilover)! The thing you have to watch out for with pyrex is impact. I have a buddy who boiled in his flask, was moving it to the sink for an ice bath, barley grazed the edge of the sink with the flask and it cracked.

My process is heat the water in the flask to 150-190 or so, add the DME, then let it rip on the burner. When the boil is over I stick the aluminum foil over the top to let the steam sterilize it for 10 minutes or so, then move it to the fridge on an oven mit.

This has worked on my electric "@ shaped burner" stove at my old apartment, my parents glass top stove and a gas stove at my new house at school!

Just make sure the flask is quality glass since I think now pyrex is just a brand!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduna01 View Post
I would get the flask but I hear they are no good on electric stoves as far as boiling in the flask itself.
You can safely use an Erlenmeyer flask on an electric stove if you use a trivet. You can easily make a wire trivet from a wire coat hanger or other similar steel wire. I shape the wire into a star pattern. The trivet separates the flask from the heating coils of the stove burner. This helps to prevent the uneven heating that can occur if the glass contacts the red hot coils directly. The non-uniform heating can cause excessive stress leading to possible fractures. You can put the flask directly on a gas burner grate without problems. I use foam control drops to help prevent boil overs and they are very effective. I also bought a cheap electric hot plate to use for the starters. I've found a position on the dial where I can set it and forget it. It takes about 1/2 hour to come to a boil, but never boils over at that setting. I have it hooked up to a timer to shut off the hot plate at 45 minutes. This has worked very well with not a single boil over and I fill the 2 liter flask almost to the neck. I cool the flask in a pan of water, but I let it cool a bit prior. No fractured flasks so far.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
CompassBrewing
Recipes 

I always winch a bit when taking my erlenmeyer flask from the hot stove to the cool water but haven't had a problem yet. I run cool water from the faucet around the sides before setting it into the ice water though

Quick Reply