New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Winter's Over - Keezer in Garage Won't Work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Winter's Over - Keezer in Garage Won't Work?

I live in Wisconsin and have a keezer in the garage. I set the temp controller to 40 so that on days where the temp actually does get over 40, it will kick on. Well, the temps have been around 50 this week....and the compressor kicks on but will NOT cool the keezer. I even set my controller to 33 degrees and it will not cool...but the compressor runs. I then plugged the freezer directly into the outlet to see if it will freeze and it will not...but the compressor is running. Did I somehow fry my compressor over the winter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Do you have a single stage or a dual stage controller? Do you have a heater to keep thing from freezing during the winter? You might need to switch your controller from heat to cool if its a single stage controller.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
Do you have a single stage or a dual stage controller? Do you have a heater to keep thing from freezing during the winter? You might need to switch your controller from heat to cool if its a single stage controller.
It's only a single stage - perhaps that's what I'll do next winter. But I wonder did I somehow cook the freezer?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Plug it in without the controller, does it fire up normally? You might need to leave it plugged in for about 30 minutes before it kicks on, some freezers have an internal timer to keep the compressor from short cycling.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityBrewer View Post
Plug it in without the controller, does it fire up normally? You might need to leave it plugged in for about 30 minutes before it kicks on, some freezers have an internal timer to keep the compressor from short cycling.
Yeah, I plugged it in directly to the outlet without the controller...the compressor fires up but did not cool...I left it plugged in for about an hour and it didn't get any cooler. I've got it unplugged right now and will plug it back in in a little while.

Quick Reply