Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Window AC Unit as a glycol chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
mpcluever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Window AC Unit as a glycol chiller?

I've seen some of these on the internet, but never really any details about how they were built. Anyone have any details on using an AC unit to chill a glycol bath?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one of these at home, and it works really well. I use a single stage un-wired Ranco controller, and you'll need to bypass the temperature sensor on your AC unit so that it knows to turn on/off when the Ranco's probe tells it to. You'll submerge the cooling apparatus (looks like a car's radiator) into the glycol bath which is what will keep it cool. I use a March Pump to pump from the reservoir to my glycol manifold, and have the return coming in through the top of the cooler this is built on.

I didn't do the electrical work myself - I have an electrician / HVAC friend that helped me with that. All AC units should have a wiring diagram inside the shell (sometimes on the outside also), and the Ranco will come with one as well.

From my understanding it is an easier conversion with a non-digital AC unit, but that's just what my friend was telling me. My unit is 5000 BTU and can cold crash two 14 gallon conicals to ~45F in a 100F garage. I can take pictures of it if you'd like to see - just let me know. Sorry I don't know what wires go where, but that will also depend on the AC unit you end up going with...

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
iwashappy
Recipes 

Would be awesome to see some pix. Was just thinking about doing this myself! I'm especially interested to see how you built the glycol reservoir.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd love to see it too. A 5000 BTU AC unit as a central chiller should be able to cool a whole array of brew in properly sealed and insulated compartments. A 4-6 keg serving unit, a couple lager boxes, and a whole bunch of ales would probably be less than 25% of cooling capacity.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

FYI, I found an entire write up on this in one of the special BYO DIY Projects editions. Haven't started it yet and the article, was kind of vague regarding the actual build of the AC unit glycol system, but looks easy enough.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
armageddon
Recipes 

Jipper,

I'm very interested in seeing pictures of your setup.

-Erik

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright - so here are a few pictures of the AC glycol unit. I have it set to 30F with a 4 degree differential. The reservoir is a white cooler (72 quart I believe). We cut half of the top off and screwed the AC unit on the right side. The other half had 4 cup holders, which we drilled out and installed the return line in, as well as the temperature probe. I would recommend a thermowell, however do not currently use one and things seem to be working alright. The cooler came equipped with a spigot/water drain on the right, which I removed and installed a weldless fitting in its place. We use a H315HF March Pump (their part number is 815 I believe) to move the glycol throughout the manifold, which you can see is mounted above the glycol unit. When building the manifold we created 7 different outlets/inlets, to allow for future growth if wanted/needed. We currently use it connected to two 14 gallon conicals and two cellar kegs that are used for secondary/conditioning. We have had all four of those going before and the 5000BTU unit was able to keep them all at temperature. We've also put lagers into both of the conicals at the same time, and both were able to hold 49F in ~80F ambient temperatures. The manifold has ball valves on the return lines, and solenoid valves on the outlet. The solenoids are plugged into the "Cooling" outlet of the ranco controller, and therefore will only turn on and allow glycol through the coils when the temperature inside the conical is above the set point. We currently have a Zinfandel in one of our cellar kegs (we use them for beer, wine, and mead), and it's cold crashing, currently at 44F in the picture. The garage was around 88F when the picture was taken.

Let me know if you have any questions. Again - I'm unable to help with the re-wiring of the ranco and AC unit, but almost anything else I'd be able to help with. Cheers!

imag0280.jpg   imag0275.jpg   imag0278.jpg   imag0276.jpg   imag0277.jpg  

Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwashappy View Post
Would be awesome to see some pix. Was just thinking about doing this myself! I'm especially interested to see how you built the glycol reservoir.
i was playing with the idea a while ago. this is the first generation of my glycol chiller- its very cobbled together, and there are a lot of things i plan to improve, but here it is...

8000 BTU compressor, 12 gallon box i buit out of wood and fiberglassed around the inside of it. controlled by an arduino and some relays, with a 120v surflow diaphragm pump. it powers the keg chiller right below it, and the tap system up in the kitchen on the first floor (its in the basement). its about a 35 foot run. i have a third solenoid on the chiller manifold that will eventually go to a fermentation chamber whenever i get around to it. enjoy.
(sorry i dont have any great head-on pictures of the whole thing, its tucked under the basement stairs)

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks to you both for the photos. So it looks like you both were able to get the AC (evap) cooling coil to just sit in the glycol resevoir below? Did you have to suction and refill the system to reconfigure the ac lines or was there enough play to just suspend it into the pool?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Very interesting! Anyone willing to make a little generic diagram of the parts of the AC Unit, pumps, etc?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply