Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Will starsan affect my mash pH?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
spenghali
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Will starsan affect my mash pH?

Since starsan is no rinse, it just occurred to me that it might be affecting the pH of my mash, can anyone shed some light?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 24

First off if you dump it the quantity is so minute it's negligible. Secondly, why are you sanitizing your mash tun?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never have sanitized it before, but for some reason today I did. I always thought anything before the boil didn't really matter too much, but wasn't sure if I was risking anything, guess not.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it is actually possible for lactobacilus to survive in the mash and affect the wort, so its not a terrible idea to sanitize the mash tun. shouldnt be much of a problem if you clean it after use each time. so its probably unnecessary, but doesnt hurt.

sanitizing something like the boil kettle, on the other hand, would be a complete waste of time.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
it is actually possible for lactobacilus to survive in the mash and affect the wort, so its not a terrible idea to sanitize the mash tun. shouldnt be much of a problem if you clean it after use each time. so its probably unnecessary, but doesnt hurt.

sanitizing something like the boil kettle, on the other hand, would be a complete waste of time.
Wouldn't the most likely place for the Lactobacilus to be coming from be the grain, so sanitising the mash tun would still do nothing... sanitising the grain on the otherhand

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post

As the above poster said, the grain is the biggest source of lacto. There's no reason to sanitize the mash tun, you're going to boil the wort and that will kill the lacto and any other wild yeasts/organisms that may be there. I don't even get the sanitizer ready until I'm midway through the boil. After the boil, nothing touches the wort without being sanitized first.

Quick Reply