Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > will this pump self prime?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
terrazza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default will this pump self prime?

Will the Wilo Star 8 BS7, 1-Speed Bronze Star Series Circulator, 1/20 HP (3/4") self prime?

http://www.pexsupply.com/Wilo-409077...or-1-20-HP-3-4

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

My .02, or at least what I've learned...assuming you want to move wort with this. I know this isn't what you're asking, but..

Any pump that is not a mag drive or has enclosed wetted elements risks being a "dirty" pump. Meaning whatever liquids go thru it will touch the greased elements of the impeller/shaft assembly directly. I looked into several "marine" grade pumps that were stainless and looked like they could take boiling... manufacturer stated "well, I wouldn't advise that at all with food products". Just cause it's stated use is 'hot water' doesn't mean it's food grade.

For all that matter, even Little Giant doesn't rate their mag drive pumps as food grade, even though they really are. The reason they gave is that when they assemble the enclosed wetted components, they drop a tiny bit of non-food grade lube just to aid assembly- which washes off after first use.

Your question sounds like one for the manufacturer... and then you can ask them about moving edible liquids thru it. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

This pump is not a magnetic drive pump so you will not be able to restrict the output with a valve. The pump is definitely not self priming.

Guy

Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
terrazza
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

no, using for glycol. no plans on restricting the end... so what makes a pump self priming?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrazza View Post
no, using for glycol. no plans on restricting the end... so what makes a pump self priming?
Most curculator pumps work in a closed system purged of air therefore they do not have to be self priming. Below is a description of what make a self priming pump self prime.

http://www.pumpstoreusa.com/knowledgebase/selfpriming/

Guy

Quick Reply