Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > will propane burner run on natural gas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Movinfr8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default will propane burner run on natural gas?

Have been wondering if anyone has tried it, and are the neccesary fittings hard to get. Since we can adjust the air inlet of the burners, that shouldn't be a problem, and it would save worrying about swapping tanks, since I have a heater close to where I boil...
Norm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The gas orifice on LP burners is really tiny and too small for nat gas. You could slowly drill it out larger but you'd be screwed if it doesn't work. I suppose you could plug it with JBweld and redrill.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep what Bobby said.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
GuateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If its a standard turkey fryer type burner those run on 8-20 psi, where your natural gas is something like 8-10 inches of water which is very little pressure in PSI. In that case it would not work. If you have a low pressure propane burner you might be able to get it up and running ok, but then again you might be better off shopping around for a gas burner, seems like last time I looked at some of the monster burners out there they were in the 50-100 dollar range.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Movinfr8
Recipes 

yeah, I knew there was very little pressure in the nat gas system, but I might have some fittings, that can be drilled out... Will keep you all posted, unless you hear a loud boom!!

p.s. I also thought about cruising the neighborhood on a Sunday night looking for a thrown away gas water heater, that could yield a lot of fun items to recycle!!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would personally look for the correct hardware, play it safe, esp when it comes to fire.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a natural gas unit but it'll set you back a few coins $316 I think.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page4.htm

I don't see any reason building your own out of an old water heater burner wouldn't work. If you know what you are doing or have somebody build it for you if you don't but that'll probably cost as much or more than the above unit with considerably less BTU's.

If the tanks are a problem consider getting a large stationary tank they come in 125 gal. 250 gal. 500 gal and 1000 gal. They also make portable tanks larger than the ubiquitous 20 lb. tanks I think they also come in 40 and 80 lb. tanks

Old 02-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
skinfiddler

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Here's a natural gas unit but it'll set you back a few coins $316 I think.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page4.htm

I don't see any reason building your own out of an old water heater burner wouldn't work. If you know what you are doing or have somebody build it for you if you don't but that'll probably cost as much or more than the above unit with considerably less BTU's.

If the tanks are a problem consider getting a large stationary tank they come in 125 gal. 250 gal. 500 gal and 1000 gal. They also make portable tanks larger than the ubiquitous 20 lb. tanks I think they also come in 40 and 80 lb. tanks
I have wondered that myself. Where I am currently working, I spotted a "graveyard" of salvaged water heater parts several of which were the burners. I am going to help myself to a couple of those and when I have the gas redone (converted to flex pipe) I'll have the man make up a couple of extra outlets when he makes the manifold.

I need to rig up a bracket.

JW

Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
The gas orifice on LP burners is really tiny and too small for nat gas. You could slowly drill it out larger but you'd be screwed if it doesn't work. I suppose you could plug it with JBweld and redrill.
My local natural gas company will drill out any orifice you bring in to them for free, you might try that.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I think there was a thread on here about it a couple of weeks back, and someone with a professional career in natural gas...or stove repair, or something jumped in and said it was dangerous..but don't quote me on this...Use the search function and double check. I'm just going from a dim recollection here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply