Will my pot work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADragon

Reaction score
For Christmas, I asked only for brewing gift certs so I could buy a new 8 gallon pot. But, sometime while we were turkey frying, I must have mentioned people brewing using a turkey fryer to my Dad, because I received a turkey fryer for Christmas (in addition to the gift certs). As an apartment dweller, the turkey fryer method won't work for me at this time.

The kit comes with a 32 quart pot, I don't know the exact measurements, but it only fits over one burner on the stove, so it's pretty narrow. My question, will I ever reach a boil in this thing? Or should I go ahead and get another 8 gallon pot that I can straddle over two burners?

I don't know, will you? Best way is to try with water! You can get reflective insulation stuff at your local lowes/home dept/hardware store; just make sure it is fire proof/heat proof, or hike it up a couple inches. My pot is good without it on my crappy apartment stove, but have been debating the insulation... Thinking that and flashing all the way to the bottom of the cook top to contain the heat better, but haven't gotten the gumption.

This thread might help you...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/improved-boiling-stovetop-53683/

I'm an apartment brewer too...I haven't tried his method...at home I do a lot of small batch (2.50 gallons) or Extract and or partial mash recipes where I can use my 5 gallon pot and brew on the stove...then I use my turkey/fryer 7.5 gallon pot setup for group brews or at other brewer's houses...

I still get to do plenty of brewing...I do a lot of experimental test recipes as 2.5 gallons, of stuff that I don't really need 2 cases of...or I tweak a recipe at 2.5 gallons then later brew it as a 5 gallon at a group brew....

And some of my favorite recipes are partial mashes or extracts w/grain recipes where I boil 2.5 to 3 gallons and then top off to 5 gallon...

I think my system is pretty flexible..and I get to salve my brewing jones pretty regularly.

But check out Flyguys thread as well as My buddy Deathbrewer's thread on stove top AG brewing using 2 pots.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Have fun! :mug:

Latest posts

Back