Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Will this fridge work for fermentation/lagering chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Will this fridge work for fermentation/lagering chamber?

SO... I'm supposed to pick up a fridge next weekend for my new under-the-workbench fermentation/lagering chamber.

The chamber is going to be about 4.5x2ft in size with the intention of having three chambers... two for different fermenting temps and the main chamber for lagering (main chamber being part fridge).

Question; The fridge I'm picking up is one of the mini fridges WITHOUT the freezer inside of it. Initially I figured that's great; don't need to bend it down! But now I'm wondering if this fridge will get cold enough for lagering as it was never intended to be able to get down that low and it will be cooling a larger area to begin with.

Do the fridges with the little freezer compartments cool to lower temps than the ones without freezer compartments, or will I be just fine with the mini fridge sans freezer seeing how I'm controlling it with electronic temp regulators?

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The average refrigerator can get temperatures into the 35-40 degree range. That should be close enough for lagering.

Is there any way you can use this fridge for fermenting your ales if it doesn't reach your desired temperature?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply