Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Why'd you pick the grain mill you did?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Took an HBT poll. Barley Crusher came out on top. Bought it. Very happy with it. 80%+ eff. with factory crush setting. That's all she wrote.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblvsn
Bought a Barley Crusher for 2 simple reasons.
1. Didn't have to build a hopper for it
B. Price...
Same here. Plus, I didn't have to make any adjustments to the BC for use with my household 3/8" drill. At the time I bought mine, they were running a special price on it, too. That sweetened the deal too much in the BCs favor!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #23
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always got plenty of scrap wood around and the tools to work with it. Making the assumption (risky I know) that quality is directly related to price, I figured if the pirce was roughtly equal, then the mill without the hopper would be of even higher quality since the extra $ went into the mill and not the hopper. I went with the 3 roller Crankenstein and love it. Very easy to adjust.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Instant gratification. I was just starting all-grain, found a little brew store in Amsterdam, picked it up. Corona mill, cost about 50 Euro. Wasn't a great deal, but gets the job done just fine. Makes me feel like a little more sweat goes into my brews

Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Has anybody used both a BarleyCrusher and a basic Crankenstein model (one of the models that's around $120 or so, which is what I'm budgeting for this purchase)? I have the wood and just enough skillz to put together a hopper if need be, so the cost between the two of them would be about the same. Does the Crankenstein "win" in any regard other than looking to be more robust?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #26
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Has anybody used both a BarleyCrusher and a basic Crankenstein model (one of the models that's around $120 or so, which is what I'm budgeting for this purchase)? I have the wood and just enough skillz to put together a hopper if need be, so the cost between the two of them would be about the same. Does the Crankenstein "win" in any regard other than looking to be more robust?
Rollers on the Crank are thicker, so you have more surface area. That equates to less wear and tear in the long haul.

Looks like Crank's website is down.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...asc&highlight=
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I don't have a BC, but I can tell you that I have a crankandstein 3 roller, and you will need a good drill to run that machine if you choose it. I smoked a 5.2 amp corded B&D with a fine crush set on the second gap. And for a hopper, I considered the hopper a waste of money; I find a 5 gallon water jug works great. You can put it on a scale and measure your grains for extra convenience (if you have a scale with the range). I didn't care for either manufacturer's design.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
I don't have a BC, but I can tell you that I have a crankandstein 3 roller, and you will need a good drill to run that machine if you choose it. I smoked a 5.2 amp corded B&D with a fine crush set on the second gap. And for a hopper, I considered the hopper a waste of money; I find a 5 gallon water jug works great. You can put it on a scale and measure your grains for extra convenience (if you have a scale with the range). I didn't care for either manufacturer's design.
Thanks, that sounds like my corded drill. It sounds like from the link Cheese posted (thanks, bro!) that the Crankenstein, while a bit more robust, needs a bit more OOMPH to power it.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #30
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have the cheapest Crankandstein that is still adjustable. I'll say that this might be an isolated case, but I found that the bore for the bearings wasn't made perfectly perpendicular to the side plate (or maybe the bottom edges of the end plates are not squarely cut). The reason I suspect this is when I mounted to an absolutely flat base, the rollers got really tight. When you bow the base by pressing on the side, the rollers spun free. I triple checked that it was indeed a flat surface and it was. I basically had to shim the side plates of the mill to make it spin free. Not so great.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 10-01-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply