Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Why sanitary welds on keggles, etc?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
nbspindel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why sanitary welds on keggles, etc?

I got to thinking the other day, everyone says sanitary welds are suggested, if not necessary, when welding couplers into kettles, keggles, etc. But if one were to just TIG the couplers into the HLT, MT, and BK, wouldnt it be ok, because in the end all the wort goes to the BK which boils the liquid for 60+ minutes, effectively killing all bad bacteria, right? Even at that point, the welds on the BK, if not sanitary welds, would also be sanitized from being exposed to those temps for that time. Fermenters, sure, sanitary welds I can imagine are a good idea.

Any reason then why I should pay for sanitary welds when i can just have a buddy TIG my couplers into keggles for a few beers?

Tks guys.

*Bayou Brewhouse, established 2009*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm no expert but I think just like you. If I were you I'd just grab your buddy and have him weld the keggle for you. Like you said boiling before fermenter. However if you are paranoid about bacteria and sanitation through the whole process then maybe go for sanitary welds.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
kezgin
Recipes 

sugared welds are going to be more likely to rust/corrode, plus they look like garbage. imo, if you're not gonna take the extra minute or two to back purge, might as well just stick/mig it

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I think the reason for sanitary welds is because bacterial critters can hide in the smallest little nooks and crannies of regular welds. When those bacterial critters hide in these spots they are not very easy to kill and could funkify a fermenting beer (infection).

Guy

Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
nbspindel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I think the reason for sanitary welds is because bacterial critters can hide in the smallest little nooks and crannies of regular welds. When those bacterial critters hide in these spots they are not very easy to kill and could funkify a fermenting beer (infection).
you mean to say that the bacteria hiding in the crannies of the weld on a coupler that is exposed to the heat of the boiling wort (and if not the wort directly then at least the metal) would survive to be transferred then into the fermenter and ruin the batch? Would that happen? It seems like it's either exposed to wort and is sanitized, or is not exposed to wort, in which case i don't have to worry about it infecting the wort.

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to figure out the specific thought behind that. Thanks.

*Bayou Brewhouse, established 2009*

Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would imagine that the steel in those areas are subjected to higher temps than the wort itself. I wish I had my welding friend back gas the welds on my kegs, but many batches down the line, no infections, it's just an ugly spot. Look up Solar Flux, it's supposed to substitute back gassing. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems to me that the only sanitary weld of a coupler to a keg would be welding from the inside, and I don't know anyone that does that. Maybe someone with more welding exp. could speak to that tho.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nope, TIG will be awesome. Have your buddy hook it up and then send him my way

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbspindel View Post
you mean to say that the bacteria hiding in the crannies of the weld on a coupler that is exposed to the heat of the boiling wort (and if not the wort directly then at least the metal) would survive to be transferred then into the fermenter and ruin the batch? Would that happen? It seems like it's either exposed to wort and is sanitized, or is not exposed to wort, in which case i don't have to worry about it infecting the wort.

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to figure out the specific thought behind that. Thanks.
Some people are paranoid about some things (and I don't mean that in any sort of offensive way). This is one of them.

Some of us who do no-chill brewing pour our wort directly from the pot into an unsanitized vessel (in my case, cornies), and let it cool in there. If wort poured into a cornie can sanitize it, I wouldn't worry about a fitting thats directly exposed for the entirety of the boil.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
cwilliams108
Recipes 

I welded a coupling into a keg yesterday and did use the solar flux (not cheap btw $63 for a 1 lb can) I did this not because I was concerned about infection or anything of that nature but the corrosion aspect. I welded them with a MIG welder(yes with ss wire and no tri-gas just 75/25 and didnt notice much if any spatter) and followed the instruction on the solar flux website and it seemed to do the trick although I'll know more tonight when I get home after having brewed with it yesterday. Mine aren't the prettiest welds you will ever see but it held water just fine and are in no danger of breaking anytime before the second coming.

"get on with livin', or get on with dyin'" Red, The Shawshank Redemption

Quick Reply