Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Why do people like better bottles so much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why do people like better bottles so much?

I got a couple recently and am using one currently as a primary. I like how light it is and all that but whenever I touch the thing it sucks in all the star-san thats in the airlock. Not a big deal but what if it's been sitting awhile, the solution in the air-lock could get nasty, dirt, fruit flies, whatever and all that is now in your brew.

Probably going to get rid of them and get some ale-pales for replacement. Do you guys experience this same thing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4836 Times on 4436 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
I got a couple recently and am using one currently as a primary. I like how light it is and all that but whenever I touch the thing it sucks in all the star-san thats in the airlock. Not a big deal but what if it's been sitting awhile, the solution in the air-lock could get nasty, dirt, fruit flies, whatever and all that is now in your brew.

Probably going to get rid of them and get some ale-pales for replacement. Do you guys experience this same thing?
Milk crates.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How are you getting things into the airlock to begin with? Don't you have the cap on it?? What's in the airlock will get 'nasty' no matter what it's installed into. Doesn't matter if it's in a stopper in a carboy, or lid of a bucket.

I used the Better Bottle (and that type) of carboy for my batches (of beer) early on. I used the glass carboys for my mead batches. IME, buckets were a PITA top get the lid off, once closed properly. IF the one you're using is sucking back when you touch it, you're doing something wrong.

Personally, I use neither if at all possible. I have adapted/converted sanke kegs that I ferment in. MUCH happier with those. Two, stronger than you, handles built into each fermenter. 100% light tight, and zero chance of air getting through it. Zero chance of breaking, or melting. Plus, I don't need to put them into anything else to safely carry them (like many people do for either glass, or plastic, carboys. Chances are extremely high you'll NEVER see me use a bucket fermenter ever again. If I was given one, I'd find another use for it. Probably to catch grain from my mill.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

For me, it's the weight. They are easier to haul around, and whoever suggested the milk crate idea was spot on in terms of moving them.

ON TAP
Empty kegs

FERMENTING
Nothing

ON DECK
Finishing my RIMS panel!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

They are higher quality than buckets but not breakable like glass. I pick them up by the top and that isn't flexible like the sides so it doesn't suck in through the airlock

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have 2 5 gallon and 2 6 gallon and they pretty much collect dust since I started doing everything in the primary only but I do like them as they don't break and are much lighter than glass. I am actually going to be using one this weekend to rack my holiday ale into for bulk conditioning a couple months.

As for suck back, yes that can happen if you squeeze the vessel. Put it in a milk crate as suggested and use that to move it, eliminates squeezing the plastic

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

+1 for milk crates. Should use a milk crate for glass too, but at least glass doesn't flex. Milk crates just make carrying carboys easier no matter if they're glass or plastic.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i have three kids and the idea of them knocking off a glass carboy, or any way glass could break is the reason for me. I like them better aesthetically than buckets, but use both. i will admit, they are harder to clean than buckets

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 50

+1 to using milk crates if you have to move them.

I don't have much of a need to move them once I have racked beer/applewine into them. The only times I really move my fermenters are from brew area to fermenting area, and then later from fermenting area to bottling/kegging area. An easy solution, if you don't have spare milk crates lying around, is to not put the airlock on till you get the better bottle in place where it will remain for fermenting. If you're concerned about nasties floating into the neck, just put a piece of sanitized tinfoil over it, but I wouldn't bother unless you're moving a long distance.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Buy a double bubble airlock. Problem solved for under a dollar.

Quick Reply