Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Why is a carboy(secondary fermenter) smaller than the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
BoxerDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why is a carboy(secondary fermenter) smaller than the primary?

I dont understand why the carboy is exactly 5 gallons while its seems that most brewers use larger primary fermenters.

I want to get some carboys going with brews and ciders , but I dont mind having sediment in my beer, therefore primary fermentation is fine with me. My question is can I use a standard 5 gallon carboy, for a 5 gallon brew. thanks, everyone here has been very helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You need the extra gallon of room in the primary fermenter because otherwise you'll have a massive amount of foam spewing out of it. You only need five gallons for the secondary because when you transfer the beer into it, fermentation should be pretty much complete, and there's no more risk of foam spilling over.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
BoxerDog
Recipes 

thank you, one other question, is it ok not to have a tube to get rid of the foam, instead having an airlock or bubbler?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerDog
thank you, one other question, is it ok not to have a tube to get rid of the foam, instead having an airlock or bubbler?
Yes, MOST of the time. Every once in a while, especially with some yeast or bigger beers, you get more massive fermentation. For those instances, having the blowoff tube handy is really nice.

Typically, I start with an airlock and only go to a blowoff when things start looking bad for the airlock

Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
67coupe390

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm all about the 1.25" blow off tube. It will not clog and all that crazy stuff. Then after 5-6 days when fermentation slows I put the air lock on and wait it out. Getting rid of the foam is a good thing a lot of the time because it can blow off the crud that makes the hang over worse.

-67-

Coupe 390

Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coupe390
I'm all about the 1.25" blow off tube. It will not clog and all that crazy stuff. Then after 5-6 days when fermentation slows I put the air lock on and wait it out. Getting rid of the foam is a good thing a lot of the time because it can blow off the crud that makes the hang over worse.

-67-
Me too. You put in the blow off tube and there are less worries for the first several days.

Gary

Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Definately spend the few bucks for some blow-off tubing. Beats cleaning up a mess.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply