Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Who's got a good sampling routine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Thanks, RB. I don't keg, but if I wanted to use one of those CO2 chargers, I guess I'd pour the priming sugar solution in the bucket, drop my auto-siphon hose in there, put the lid on the bucket part way and spray the CO2 through the opening until I thought the air had been displaced? And then I'd start siphoning under the CO2, and close the lid completely when I'm done? I might try that.
I wouldn't bother. Millions of gallons of homebrew have been racked to bottling buckets without the worry of not having an adequate CO2 blanket on top of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
Jhenjum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers View Post
Who out there has a really good process for sampling?

...because I sure don't. I've tried a lot of the sampling tools out there, but they always seem a bit too fussy and too plasticky. I've also tried using a sampling spigot on my (bucket) fermenter, but I always had leaks. I often find myself whipping up cleaner and sanitizer on sampling days, and that's just a PITA.

Too many of my brew log entries have just two numbers: the OG and the FG...and sometimes not even the FG. I really need to start keeping better track.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When chilling I have a small ball valve that allows me to take a sample on the way to the fermenter....

After fermentation I push Co2 into my fermenter and take a gravity with a cobra tap before secondary...

Quick Reply