Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Who uses a filtration system? (looking for some testimony)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Default Who uses a filtration system? (looking for some testimony)

I love my beer. I hate the fact that I can't achieve a clear beer in my kegs. Seems the only time the beer runs clear is when I'm down to my last 3-4 pints.

I brew fast (10-gallon batches) and consume fast so the idea of leaving my beers 3, 4 or 5 weeks to clear naturally isn't so appealing. I generally brew wits and pale ales so these are not real big beers either.

Who here uses a filtration system and can you give me the ABC's of the equipment setup?

Ironically, when I bottled, my bottles cleared up nicely.

Help me get a clear beer again....please...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For my really light colored brews I use gelatin 2 days prior to kegging a/o bottling, but I don't filter.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 06-12-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I have a filtration system based on a household water filter. Just a filter housing and two hoses. Inlet has a liquid connector and the outlet a gas. (some people use liquid-liquid to reduce splashing) Mostly I use 2 micron filters. I use it on less than 10% of my batches, but when I need to clarify a brew, it does the job. I chill both kegs, purge the target kegs with CO2, and hookup the filter. I use about 5 psi to push the beer through, venting the target when the flow slows down.

When the keg blows, I invert the filter to get the last quart or so into the target keg.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
For my really light colored brews I use gelatin 2 days prior to kegging a/o bottling, but I don't filter.
Do you do this in a secondary? Ever put gelatin in a keg?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
mward
Recipes 

I put gelatin in the primary a few days after fermentation ends and keg it after the bulk of the yeast settles out, 2-3 days. I'm pulling perfectly clear pints.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I have a filtration system based on a household water filter. Just a filter housing and two hoses. Inlet has a liquid connector and the outlet a gas. (some people use liquid-liquid to reduce splashing) Mostly I use 2 micron filters. I use it on less than 10% of my batches, but when I need to clarify a brew, it does the job. I chill both kegs, purge the target kegs with CO2, and hookup the filter. I use about 5 psi to push the beer through, venting the target when the flow slows down.

When the keg blows, I invert the filter to get the last quart or so into the target keg.
Thanks David. I saw this setup at Midwest Supplies. Sounds similar to your rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
HB, what kind of gelatin? Can it be purchased at a grocery strore?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I use 2 water filter housing inline. There's a cheap spun poly 1 micron nominal (not an absolute) and a .5 polyproylene accordion (ribbon?) style ($40) absolute filter.

I back flush with HOT water, then dump both into a strong solution of Oxyclean till I'm ready to filter again. On filter day I back flush then soak in a solution of metabisulphite then back flush that for a few minutes. Then filter.

The oxy clean will bleach them clear and back flushing will get rid of the broke down stuff that didn't come out with the original back flush.

It's really simple..honest!

For sanity sake, buy a bunch of hose type quick disconnects. This will make life much easier.

I replace the cheap 1 micron every once in a while but I have had the expensive .5 (or is it .3?) for over a year and it is still working good. The key is to back flush that one with hot water after you filter. Cold just doesn't cut it. I was getting lazy and just back flushing with cold and it started to plug up on me. I back flushed with hot for 5 or 10 minutes and it was like knew again.

Of course that was while I was accidentally filtering my damn hefe! (side note, it was the extremely tart one and it seems less tart now). I meant to filter my Trappist...

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 06-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Denny, how are the results?

Does it make a difference with chill haze? My wits and PA's are served around 37-39 degrees.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Filtering cold tends to get rid of chill haze, but not always. If you can get a hold of some stabifix, ad dthat to the keg, swirl arond and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, THEN filter you will have no chill haze.

Over all though they come out pretty damn clear. Some will have a very slight haze but most ocme clear.

I also have a pump that I use sometimes to filter form the carboy to the keg, other times I filter from carboy to carboy pushing with gas.

I'd make sure you get a .3 or .5 ABSOLUTE filter and a 1 micron chepa fiter inline behind it. I notice very little flavor loss.

Some go with a 1 micon absolute. That will get the yeast out but not much else.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I'm doing the same as DEC. Spend about the same price as the Midwest filter setup. I cold crash everything and let the secondary set at about 40 for a week, then pour into a purged cold keg. run about 3 psi through a .5 micron with activated carbon. Comes out beautiful! My biggest reason was to remove some of the yeast. I DO notice that the flavors mellow a little, especially on delicate beers and ciders, but not enough for me to stop doing it. Just leave the filter full of Star San inbetween batches and let it sit in your kegerator.

Quick Reply