Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > who could drill my kettle hole

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Skins_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a very small drill bit to drill a starter hole.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I did the nail-punch dot, then small pilot hole, then step bit.

Most important thing is to go slow and hard <giggle> because you don't want to stainless to get too hot and temper. That will make it hard and impossible to drill (hee hee).

Anyone else think the thread title was just a clever euphemism? (in spite of my snickering above, I do mean the information!)

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleb View Post
Thanks for the replies. Its very tempting to go ahead and get the bits myself. I'm not the best DIY handyman type. I'm terribly accident prone and get stressed out easily if something goes wrong. I've got mixed feelings still. Swmbo convinced me to hire out yesterday, but maybe I'll freakin do it.

OK, so holding it between your legs is OK and will work right (with a piece of masking tape)? And just to be clear about everything I'll need

Kettle (got it)
Legs for bracing (still attached to me)
Pam (got it already)
masking tape (have it)
titanium step bit (not positive of the size yet)
safety glasses (I'm accident prone)
titanium pilot drill bit (do I need this)
file (to make the hole slightly larger if needed)

I got this to add to the kettle. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...it-w-barb.html

Anything else you think I need to make this an easy as possible 5 or so minutes of my life?
I didn't need a file or a pilot drill bit. If you get the step bits from Harbor that I linked, the larger one is fine for the entire job. I also didn't need to punch or hammer anything to start the hole, the masking tape held my bit in place as I started. Once the tiny hole is started you push down harder with each ring of the step bit. I definitely suggest a spray of Pam before you start to keep the bit lubricated and not as hot. Once the hole is the size you need, you can wiggle the bit around slightly on the inside and outside of the hole to clean up any shavings that are left over. With each step you can see if your valve fits. Once it does, stop drilling. I had never used a step bit before and I drilled 5 holes in a stainless steel pot and lids in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by HarkinBanks; 09-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
I did the nail-punch dot, then small pilot hole, then step bit.

Most important thing is to go slow and hard <giggle> because you don't want to stainless to get too hot and temper. That will make it hard and impossible to drill (hee hee).

Anyone else think the thread title was just a clever euphemism? (in spite of my snickering above, I do mean the information!)
+1 on all counts.. (hehehe)

Anyway, yeah, slow and steady and try not to le tthe bit spin without removing metal as that can work harden the area.

One recommendation not mentioned is to tape the pot lid in place with duct tape. Even though you're drilling near the base where there is plenty of support, it's not hard to taco a thin kettle. Taping the lid in place will give a little more support all the way around.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

If you have a dirty mind(like I do) the title of this thread is hilarious....

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
doubleb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz View Post
If you have a dirty mind(like I do) the title of this thread is hilarious....
Oh... c'mon I just need my hole drilled. Nothing dirty about that.
Kegged:Brown Ale
Bottled:

Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lay a couple 2x4's on the ground parallel to each other and set the kettle on it's side between then. This will help it from rolling left to right if your foot happens to slip away a bit.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2770 Times on 2719 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I used a standard metal bit and Spit to drill my ball valve hole in my Keggle. Just do it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're not comfortable with the step bit DON'T BUY THE HARBOR FREIGHT BIT!! Spend a couple extra bucks on the one from depot or lowes. I'm a very accomplished DIYer and have worked in the construction industry off and on for years. I tried the harbor freight bit with tons of cutting oil and very slow speeds and only got 2 holes before it shot craps. Granted I was cutting a Keggle, so I ended up getting a proper sized hole saw and it was no problem. Just had to clean out the hole a little with a die grinder, but would have had to do that with the step bit too, you can use a file. Good luck! Or if you're going for welded fittings, just have the shop doing your welding cut the holes for you.

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuBrew View Post
If you're not comfortable with the step bit DON'T BUY THE HARBOR FREIGHT BIT!! Spend a couple extra bucks on the one from depot or lowes. I'm a very accomplished DIYer and have worked in the construction industry off and on for years. I tried the harbor freight bit with tons of cutting oil and very slow speeds and only got 2 holes before it shot craps. Granted I was cutting a Keggle, so I ended up getting a proper sized hole saw and it was no problem. Just had to clean out the hole a little with a die grinder, but would have had to do that with the step bit too, you can use a file. Good luck! Or if you're going for welded fittings, just have the shop doing your welding cut the holes for you.
Some people have had good luck with the Harbor step bit, some people have not. I suppose that is what you get with a product made in China, inconsistent results. Personally, I doubt I will ever use the step bit again so for me, $15 bucks was the way to go and I got a great result. If it had crapped out on me I would have taken it back to the brick and mortar Harbor I bought it from and gotten a refund. If I was going to use the bit a lot in the future, I would have shelled out for a Unibit.

6th Street Brewing Company

Quick Reply