Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Whirlpool into Hop Strainer / Basket or outside of one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Bukit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Whirlpool into Hop Strainer / Basket or outside of one?

I'm setting up a Whirlpool Immersion Chiller system (aka Jamil O Chiller) with March 815 pump and was considering adding a Hop Strainer / Basket / Spider from Stainless Brewing. http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-...esh_p_123.html
For the record, Zach is a great guy to deal with. Highly recommended vendor.
I've done some searches and there just doesn't seem to be much consensus on Hop Baskets and recirculation / Whirlpooling.
I could introduce all hops into the basket during the boil cycle but where would I place my recirculation / whirlpool arm? Inside the basket or outside? If the whirlpool arm was inside the basket (8" diameter),would it would impede circulation and the whirlpool effect? It would probably force hop particles and break material through the screen as well.
There seem to be many opinions on whether to remove hop baskets at flame out or leave them in. I would prefer to leave it in as opposed to adding flame out hops, removing the basket and then start chilling.
Alternatively, I could just drop all of my hops into the BK, chill to near pitching temp and then place the hop basket into the kettle and recirculate into the basket to capture hop material and break before transferring to the fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply