*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > whirlpool chiller and trub settling time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Søren T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default whirlpool chiller and trub settling time

I tested my whirlpool chiller today.
Normally I do a whirlpool with a spoon after chilling and let it settle for 20 min. The wort is then clear and I rack it to a carboy.
After whirlpooling I let the wort settle for 25 min before racking. The wort was not clear and now (a few hours later) I have 1.5 cm sediment at the bottom of the carboy.
It seems like the pump chops the break material into small pieces that will not settle in reasonable time.

How much time do you whirpoolers leave the wort to settle? Is there another way to handle this? - I want clear wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I used to use my pump to do the whirlpool method....then I realized it was a pain to clean it. Now I just use my IC wide open and my brew spoon to keep the wort moving as it cools. When I reach temp, I take the IC and hop bag completely out and just get a strong whirlpool going manually with my sanitized brew spoon. 20 mins later, everything has dropped to the bottom. It drains completely clear, and all that's left is lots of cold break that I wouldn't want in my beer anyway.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Søren T
Recipes 

I don't have a problem with cleaning. I just run clean water through after brewing. The pumpe is then sanitized prior to cooling by runing boiling wort through it.

I used to do the same thing as you discribe and had clear wort. But since I bought this pump I want to make it work.

Quick Reply