Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where's the foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4266 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatereeBrew View Post
dude, I use 1 oz. per 5 gallons of star san, correct me if i'm using too much but i'm zero out of three for infections.
That's the same amount. 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallons = 1 ounce for 5 gallons.

I just never make up more than a gallon at a time. There isn't any reason for me to do that. I can't keep it very long, since I have very hard water and it turns cloudy very soon. So, I mix up a gallon on brewday or kegging day, and keep it only a week or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

It's a crappy cellphone pic, but the foam actually coiled itself up the hose of the autosiphon.

It was sweet!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

I also wondered about the foam the first couple of times I used it, but last time I bought a 2.5 G jug of distilled water so that I could keep reusing the stuff and after some vigorous agitation there was NO doubt about the foam! I mean there was always a bit before, but when you splash it around a bit it really kicks in.

I just pour the 2.5 (well, a little less cause I fill the spray bottle up with it and ther eis some loss) back in the jug and put back in closet. I doubt I'll ever run out!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
Duane_Austin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I also wondered about the foam the first couple of times I used it, but last time I bought a 2.5 G jug of distilled water so that I could keep reusing the stuff and after some vigorous agitation there was NO doubt about the foam! I mean there was always a bit before, but when you splash it around a bit it really kicks in.

I just pour the 2.5 (well, a little less cause I fill the spray bottle up with it and ther eis some loss) back in the jug and put back in closet. I doubt I'll ever run out!
It sounds like my mixes were just too passive to expect the big foam I thought I was going to get.

I pretty much just filled a 5gal bucket with either 1gal or 2.5 gal water and poured (just under 1/4oz to 1gal) and (1/2 oz to 2.5gal) Star San, respectively, and stirred.

For some reason, I guess I thought pouring the Star San into the water would get me a reaction like dropping a chunk of potassium into water

When I took some of the 1gal mix, and filled my spray bottle and shook a bit, I did get suds, but it was pretty the same thing you get when you shake a bottle of dish detergent, not the foom foam in Revvy's picture. But of course, I had the bottle lid screwed on, so what did I expect? Maybe some surface foaming when I sprayed it? Guess that's not how it works.

Bottom line: I don't really care, as long as it's killing the nasties. (But still would be amused by a cool volcano foam action....

Last edited by Duane_Austin; 06-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I just never make up more than a gallon at a time. There isn't any reason for me to do that. I can't keep it very long, since I have very hard water and it turns cloudy very soon. So, I mix up a gallon on brewday or kegging day, and keep it only a week or so.
My experience with Starsan is the same.

The actual amount of concentrate to use can vary a little with your water chemistry, so it's always a good idea to check the pH with your meter or test strips to make sure you are mixing at the correct strength. If you're at or below 3 you're good to go.

If you have some mixed that's been around for awhile, check the pH. If it's above 3, toss it and make more.

Last edited by Minky; 06-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply