Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where's the foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Duane_Austin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where's the foam?

Ok, after reading all about the wonders of Star San, I went out and bought myself some, and did my sanitation for this week's batch with Star San.

BUT....I was so expecting to see this foaming action I've been reading about (and being told not to fear)....and really didn't get much foam at all.

I made two batches:

1) 3 days ago when I made my yeast starter, I made 1 gallon w/ just under 1/2 oz Star San. Soaked some stuff, and filled spray bottle.

2) Last night, on brew night, I made 2 1/2 gallons with 1/2 oz. Star San.

Neither times did I experience this "foaming" of which I read about. I used it anyway. Sprayed with the spray bottle, and cross my fingers, hope I don't have an infection.

Was I doing something wrong????????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

You're not trying hard enough! j/k

Or maybe your expectations of StarSan "foam" is different than what it really is. After significant agitation, StarSan will generate lots of bubbles and create a fairly sturdy foam-- think dishwashing soap type foam but longer lasting.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Bwahaha, this is the first "I wanna see the foam" thread I have ever come upon. Are you 100% positive that your bottle indeed says "Starsan" and not "sani-clean" sani-clean is basically starsan without the foaming agent (sort of)....IIRC the bottles look identical...or perhaps Five Star Chemicals mis-labeled the batch...

It really is hard to mis starsan foaming...

Or maybe you have extremely hard/mineral laden water and it prevented the foaming action? I dunno....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try putting 1/2 to 1 gallon is your carboy and swirling and shaking it. That usually evokes the foam demon. If you still don't see foam you may have very hard water. If you make your Starsan from distilled water which can be had for about $1 a bottle at the drug store you are assured of good water and your mix will last several months.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Keep an eye on your dilution amount. It should be 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallons of water. More is NOT better. It's a no-rinse sanitizer at proper dilution.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Duane_Austin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Bwahaha, this is the first "I wanna see the foam" thread I have ever come upon. Are you 100% positive that your bottle indeed says "Starsan" and not "sani-clean" sani-clean is basically starsan without the foaming agent (sort of)....IIRC the bottles look identical...or perhaps Five Star Chemicals mis-labeled the batch...

It really is hard to mis starsan foaming...

Or maybe you have extremely hard/mineral laden water and it prevented the foaming action? I dunno....

Now see?! That picture is what I'm talking about....that's exactly the vision I painted in my head after reading about it.

It's definitely Star San: 8oz Bottle of Five Star San Acid Sanitizer for Surface Sanitation.

And I don't think the problem is hard water either...we don't get the tell-tale deposits and working up a lather when washing dishes and what-not is a breeze.

Maybe it is that my expectations were too high. Both times I mixed it up, I did it open 5 gallon buckets, so maybe that was it.

I'll give it a shot when I get ready to do my secondary racking in the 5gal carboy and see if I can get that cool volcano action going like in Revvy's picture....

Nothing exciting ever happens to me.....

Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hmm... where have I seen something like that before?

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Duane_Austin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Keep an eye on your dilution amount. It should be 1/4 ounce for 1.25 gallons of water. More is NOT better. It's a no-rinse sanitizer at proper dilution.
That was a typo above...first batch I did just under 1/4 oz for 1 gallon....

I do, however, have a real bad habit of squeezing out way too much detergent when doing the dishes....maybe I need to put the household supplies under "beer budget" then I'll start being more conscious across the board

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, maybe you just have hard water.

Here's my carboy after making a concerted effort to not stir up too much StarSan foam.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
WatereeBrew
Recipes 

dude, I use 1 oz. per 5 gallons of star san, correct me if i'm using too much but i'm zero out of three for infections.

Quick Reply