Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where is your thermowell?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
missing link
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That was my thought to is the grain bed makes a great filter with 60 minutes of recirc, I'm not sure how much less filtering there might not be if the pumps shut off occasionally. Something tells me the difference might be minimal.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #32
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
Let's say you get your system set up, you mash in and things are chugging along at 152. 10 minutes in to the mash, the burner kicks on to add some heat and blows some carmalized sugar or rust out of some of the holes and suddenly is putting out a bit more heat. If it is heating faster than your pump is pumping, it will quickly get the wort over170 before it gets to the probe to shut the burner off.....

Linc
Yeah, this is definitely the weak link in the process. I'm not sure how much wort per minute I can pump through the dip tube, but the pump is rated 7 GPM, so at full speed it wouldn't take long to get to the probe. I think keeping the flame throttled way back would be key to preventing big overshoots.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post

The only problem with putting the controller probe mid mash is that your burner could overheat the wort before it gets to the probe.

Linc
I had that exact concern, which is why I had three separate locations for readings. After seeing that the middle of the mash was the most stable and consistent even when the burner was on and the exiting wort was 4-5 degrees hotter than the middle of the mash, i decided that was the best place to take the reading. As opposed to the top or bottom which had the biggest variance. I figure my burner MIGHT fire up only 1-2 times during a mash. The middle mash temp reading only differing 1-2 degrees from my exiting wort also told me that my pump was doing a fine job of recirculating efficiently enough not to allow scorching to occur on the bottom.

I will have more results after Saturday when I brew my 3rd batch in 6 days. I really think brewing that frequently on a new system gets it really dialed in, cause I can remember batch to batch the nuances and make the changes. Im confident that Ill have this damn close if not exactly how I want it after this weekend....Then I can REALLY start making some beer. I'm gonna need some more carboys...or maybe the nice 15 G Stainless Conical...

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #34
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
Ironic you mention the pumps on auto idea. As soon as I realized I was going to move the probe to the middle of the mash, it hit me that if i do so rewiring I could have the pump stop when the burner does. And likewise, turn on when the burner does. NO need to conitnue recircing if the fire isnt on...
Can you give me a rundown on how I would wire the on/off/on switches? I'm working on it now, but am not sure.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #35
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
Can you give me a rundown on how I would wire the on/off/on switches? I'm working on it now, but am not sure.

pretty straight forward

switch will be on the black (hot) wire. Just run it inline with whatever you want switched on/off. It will either allow the circuit to be open or closed turning it on or off

However.....if you are talking solenoid switches, well the LOVE temp controllers provides the power for those, not the bus directly. Pin 11 I believe is the one you run to the ASCO. Simply take the output from pin 11 and put a switch inline.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #36
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone View Post
pretty straight forward

switch will be on the black (hot) wire. Just run it inline with whatever you want switched on/off. It will either allow the circuit to be open or closed turning it on or off

However.....if you are talking solenoid switches, well the LOVE temp controllers provides the power for those, not the bus directly. Pin 11 I believe is the one you run to the ASCO. Simply take the output from pin 11 and put a switch inline.
Thanks for the help. Makes sense now.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #37
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
Ironic you mention the pumps on auto idea. As soon as I realized I was going to move the probe to the middle of the mash, it hit me that if i do so rewiring I could have the pump stop when the burner does. And likewise, turn on when the burner does. NO need to conitnue recircing if the fire isnt on...
hopefully I will test this theory out this weekend, but......

wouldn't leaving the pump on without the fire going allow your grain bed to obtain a more consistent temp?

Quick Reply