Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where in the world do you find used kegs?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Cazamodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where in the world do you find used kegs?!?

My setup atm is all plastic, which works great for my 5gal batches, but I would like to change my BK into a HLT and use a keg as a bigger more sturdy.
The problem is, I'm in the UK, and cant find one anywhere. I've emailed a local micro brewery to no avail, and scrapyards around here aren't allowed to take beer kegs so they wont have any. I'm completely stumped where to find one!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Craiglslist U.S., pay someone to ship it.

Is your dilemma because oft he C.A.M.R.A. movement?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Do they have big distibutors in the U.K? That's where I'd try, then again, maybe just go with a big kettle instead?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Cazamodo
Recipes 

Wouldn't shipping one from the U.S cost a huge amount? And they do, but none that have actually been able to help me.

And yea, I'm leaning towards just getting a large stock pot. I use electric to boil and plastics worked fine but I would feel safer with something more sturdy for bigger boils.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Mogref
Recipes 

Go to a liquor store or distributor that sells kegs of beer and ask if they have any broken or worn out kegs they wouldn't mind getting rid of. I went to a liquor store that sold kegs and asked them. It turned out they had two kegs from a brewery that their distributor no longer carried. The distributor didn't want them back so they just sat. The liquor store sold them to me for what they paid for the deposit, $10 each. Not a bad price for a stainless steel kettle

Old 04-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogref View Post
Go to a liquor store or distributor that sells kegs of beer and ask if they have any broken or worn out kegs they wouldn't mind getting rid of. I went to a liquor store that sold kegs and asked them. It turned out they had two kegs from a brewery that their distributor no longer carried. The distributor didn't want them back so they just sat. The liquor store sold them to me for what they paid for the deposit, $10 each. Not a bad price for a stainless steel kettle
Good idea

Quick Reply