Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where might one buy or build a HERMS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 05:48 AM   #11
XTrmXJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
BYO had a recent article wth plans for a stand like that using exhaust piping. It looked really nice. I'm trying to get pieces together to do it so XtrmXJ can weld it up for me before he leaves.

Ive also been thinking of different ideas to, Ive got the wheels turning for one..

I could probably have one of those cut and welded up in about 2 hours, and brewing... Using exhust pipe would take longer for the shear fact that I would have to fishmouth the pipes and bend everything compared to using angle iron.. The angle iron I would just measure, cut, weld, drink beer

i dRivE a SHoRt bUs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrmXJ
Ive also been thinking of different ideas to, Ive got the wheels turning for one..

I could probably have one of those cut and welded up in about 2 hours, and brewing... Using exhust pipe would take longer for the shear fact that I would have to fishmouth the pipes and bend everything compared to using angle iron.. The angle iron I would just measure, cut, weld, drink beer
Let's do it then. Let me know what angle iron to buy, and we can get the ball rolling. I can probably get a discount on angle iron at my Mother-in-law's work...she is the book-keeper at Islander hardware in Poquoson....

I want something very similar to the one pictured in this thread--but I'm open to ideas. Even thinking about getting a march pump and doing a 2 tier set-up instead of 3.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Let's do it then. Let me know what angle iron to buy, and we can get the ball rolling. I can probably get a discount on angle iron at my Mother-in-law's work...she is the book-keeper at Islander hardware in Poquoson....

I want something very similar to the one pictured in this thread--but I'm open to ideas. Even thinking about getting a march pump and doing a 2 tier set-up instead of 3.
I agree, this should be something to spec out for the "do it your selfers" to create with parts list, instructions etc at a fraction of the cost. Take that MoreBeer.com

Hey, I live in my own little world too. What street are you on?

Oh, sorry about hijacking your HERMS thread Thor!

Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
XTrmXJ
Recipes 

Well what it looks like: the main Trunk looks to be 2x2 or even 2.5x2.5, and the rest is 1.5x1.5 .086 wall, it can always be beefed up to .120..

How much weight will it be holding?

per holding container if only 5 gal, would be roughly 35lbs so with 3 it would be 105lbs total

at 8 gal for each container 54lbs, 3 tanks total 162lbs....

Still not bad, but you have to remember the small mounting and stability so gusseting would be involved..

I also like to keep things low COG if I will be using a single trunk, incase it may get bumped

No comes the time to figure how tall you want it with measurments..

The stand including the containers on top would be close to 6ft tall for my design maybe even shorter, this is just me sitting in front of my comp doing this in my head with no true measuments.. The one in the Pic looks to be at 6ft just by its self, no containers.. B and I will get together and design this on Fri while we are brewing beer to get more measurments

i dRivE a SHoRt bUs

Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrmXJ

Well what it looks like: the main Trunk looks to be 2x2 or even 2.5x2.5, and the rest is 1.5x1.5 .086 wall, it can always be beefed up to .120..

How much weight will it be holding?

per holding container if only 5 gal, would be roughly 35lbs so with 3 it would be 105lbs total

at 8 gal for each container 54lbs, 3 tanks total 162lbs....

Still not bad, but you have to remember the small mounting and stability so gusseting would be involved..

I also like to keep things low COG if I will be using a single trunk, incase it may get bumped

No comes the time to figure how tall you want it with measurments..

The stand including the containers on top would be close to 6ft tall for my design maybe even shorter, this is just me sitting in front of my comp doing this in my head with no true measuments.. The one in the Pic looks to be at 6ft just by its self, no containers.. B and I will get together and design this on Fri while we are brewing beer to get more measurments

I like this one too. Looks mighty sturdy.

I'd figure 10lbs for the keg and what does a gallon weigh? 8 lbs. or so I think, so hypothetically with a 15 gallon keg full of water/wort (keep in mind possible 10 gallon batches), each rung on the stand would have to hold close to 150 lbs. Right?

A 15.5 gallon kegs dimensions are 2 feet tall, 17 inch diameter.

The COG issue is a good point, and would almost sway me to do a 2 tier system instead. I have some plans on .pdf that I'll print out and see if we can work with those. We could easily put something like that on casters too, and make it much more portable.

My dream idea is something along this design, plenty of opportunity here. You need a pump for it the way this one is designed but that is in the future plans anyway. We could tinker with this design to make it 3 tier as well, but cost would be an issue. I'd like to weld up a few pieces on that back center portion for ladder steps to get access to the HLT.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

You know, I just never liked the idea of having the HLT way up in the air like that. Seems inherently dangerous. Even if you didn't want a recirculating set-up, you could employ a pump to pump sparge water to the mash tun so that you could eliminate one tier and get the HLT down to a level even with (or below) the mash tun. You could then plumb the system so that you could utilize the pump to vorlauf the mash instead of doing it by hand. No controllers, no electronics, just a pump in the system to eliminate the step ladder and make vorlaufing a bit easier.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

I'm used industrial shelving (Lowe's) for my setup. It was less than $100 and I have the option of changing the height of the shelves. Since the shelves are wood, I have to use a cookie sheet under the burner for the mash tun. So, far it's working well.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I like this one too. Looks mighty sturdy.

I'd figure 10lbs for the keg and what does a gallon weigh? 8 lbs. or so I think, so hypothetically with a 15 gallon keg full of water/wort (keep in mind possible 10 gallon batches), each rung on the stand would have to hold close to 150 lbs. Right?

A 15.5 gallon kegs dimensions are 2 feet tall, 17 inch diameter.

The COG issue is a good point, and would almost sway me to do a 2 tier system instead. I have some plans on .pdf that I'll print out and see if we can work with those. We could easily put something like that on casters too, and make it much more portable.

My dream idea is something along this design, plenty of opportunity here. You need a pump for it the way this one is designed but that is in the future plans anyway. We could tinker with this design to make it 3 tier as well, but cost would be an issue. I'd like to weld up a few pieces on that back center portion for ladder steps to get access to the HLT.

Damn, pics are blocked. I'll be getting cable in my room next Saturday.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 01-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
You know, I just never liked the idea of having the HLT way up in the air like that. Seems inherently dangerous. Even if you didn't want a recirculating set-up, you could employ a pump to pump sparge water to the mash tun so that you could eliminate one tier and get the HLT down to a level even with (or below) the mash tun. You could then plumb the system so that you could utilize the pump to vorlauf the mash instead of doing it by hand. No controllers, no electronics, just a pump in the system to eliminate the step ladder and make vorlaufing a bit easier.

Prosit!
Dennis...

I'm not too worried about the HLT height--we went over these plans this weekend and came up with a low COG stand that has the tp tier at 5 feet off the ground.

Teh main point for me with this stand is portability and the ability fo rit to grow as I do. I'm not prepared financially at this point to go all out with pumps and nor do I have the ability to have a dedicated brewery until we move and buy a house.
Therefore--I'm stuck with the fact I'll have to utilize a gravity system right now. The guy who is welding it is a good buddy so that the parts and labor are cheap. Really cheap.

I've looked at stand designs and read your site for all the good info on building a good set up. I think it will be a very usable system (that can be upgraded easily) when all is said and done.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply