Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where to get bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
ChefyTim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to get bottles?

Well, I am a beginning brewer having only brewed 2 batches and bottle none, yet.
First batch to be brewed next week. 2nd batch brewed today.

I bought 2 cases of bottles from a local store at $13 a case. I just hate buying bottles.

I live in middle tennessee and really can't find and real good bears like NewCastle or the like. I can get Guiness and Corona but at $7-8 a six pack that's killing me.

I was thinking I would try a local bar to see if I could bring them a box and see if they would save pry-off bottles for me but not sure how many pry-off beers they sell and if they would even do that for me.

I have found bottles online for 9.99 a case but shipping pretty much kills that idea.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Bugeaterbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are careful, you can use twist off bottles. Some brands work better than others. The neck ring varies a little, making it hard for a wing capper to get a good grip. Some bottles are also thinner glass than others, thus a little more likely to break during capping. When I was using them I was breaking about 1 bottle per batch, so that's only about a 2% loss. Once I figured out which brands were breaking, I pretty much eliminated that loss.

You can pick up those "disposable" bottles just about anywhere including along the side of the road in many cases. Just think of them as something to use until you get a big enough stock of the regular bottles. If you have a recycling center around that handles glass bottles, check with them. You can often buy the bottles back from them for whatever the redemption rate is.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Call up a local micro brewery. Ask them if they will sell you returned bottles.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Ya might need to expand your taste buds. (that helps in homebrewing) Sam Adams, etc...should be readily available.

I hate to spend $ on empty bottles when for a few dollars more they can be filled.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Nwcw2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

go to any pub in your town that sells good micro by the bottle and go through their recycling, or go in and ask if you can take some empties off there hands.

That is the beauty of Seattle area, mandatory recycling, so there is a dumpster of bottles to be had in the back of just about everywhere!!

John

Old 05-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
fullstop22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We pay 10cent deposit in Mich. I go to neighbor hood beer store he lets me take what I want for 10cents each.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ya don't live in Austin, do you?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28964

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
Chrus
Recipes 

When i needed to get my bottle collection started... I just told all my mates to come over for BBQ and beer drinking... made them all drink longnecks and collected the bottles when they were done...

Good times were had by all... and i got some empty bottles at the end of it too

Old 05-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
ahsndpro
Recipes 

Yeah, the thought that you can not use a screw top is a total myth. The biggest thing to look for is the "lip" for the capper to grab on to. If you want an example, look at a Miller Lite bottle and look at a Budweiser bottle. I've had problems with Miller Lite because there isn't much for the capper to grab on to so the cap is often lopsided and leaks. I have never had a Budweiser bottle leak.

So I guess my point is that you shouldn't limit yourself to only pop tops if you are trying to build your bottle collection.

I like the idea of checking with you local bar so see if they can save some bottles for you. I'm sure a 6 pack of your homebrew will be plenty to convince them to hand over something they plan to throw away.

Primary -- Boddington's Clone
Secondary -- IPA, Canadian Ale
1 Gallon Experimental Fermentor #1 -- Apfelwein
1 Gallon Experimental Fermentor #2 -- Empty
Bottled/Mini Kegs -- "We're Going Streaking" Pale Ale, Stout, Apfelwein, Pomegranate Blueberry Apple Cider, Nut Brown Ale
Planning -- Fruit Infused Wheat Beer, Pale Ale

Old 05-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #10
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not only check with the bars for pry offs, but see if they sell some of the beer in P.E.T. bottles. Try walking the neighborhood on recycling day. Or drive to my house. I counted this morning 23 cases of bottles and I want to start kegging.

Al

Magic Bus Brewery

Quick Reply