Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where Else to Get a Minibrew Fermenter Thermometer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
EinGutesBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Where Else to Get a Minibrew Fermenter Thermometer?

After receiving my 8 gallon minibrew fermenter on Wednesday, I noticed they had that handy-dandy hole for the thermometer. When I found it on their site, it was a lovely $50. Since I can't find it on eBay, I wonder if there's another place out there I can get the (virtually) same thing that'll be compatible with my fermenter...just for less.

Also, how good is the seal on those minibrew fermenters? It seems like the lid just sits on top. Is that really safe for the brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nothing, eh? : /

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

wouldn't a regular long needled dial or digital thermometer fit in the hole?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
jdoiv

Recipes 

Try morebeer or your lhbs and just look for a dial thermometer with 1/2 threads you can screw in. You'll want to make sure the temp range is right as well.

The lid just sits on top and you don't need an airlock. It's in essence an open fermenter. I've had mine for almost a year and no problems. Just don't open it and peek in too often or sneeze in it.

You can buy a gasket kit that will allow you to seal it like a normal fermenter and you'll put an airlock through one of the openings on the lid. I think that's a waste of money though.

You may also notice that some yeasts act a little differently in an open fermenter/conical. I tend to get a little better attenuation with the conical than I do in a carboy.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
Try morebeer or your lhbs and just look for a dial thermometer with 1/2 threads you can screw in. You'll want to make sure the temp range is right as well.

The lid just sits on top and you don't need an airlock. It's in essence an open fermenter. I've had mine for almost a year and no problems. Just don't open it and peek in too often or sneeze in it.

You can buy a gasket kit that will allow you to seal it like a normal fermenter and you'll put an airlock through one of the openings on the lid. I think that's a waste of money though.

You may also notice that some yeasts act a little differently in an open fermenter/conical. I tend to get a little better attenuation with the conical than I do in a carboy.
Right now I have a long needled standard stainless thermometer. The question would be how do I outfit it to get it to fit in the plastic threaded opening? I was thinking I could take the plug that screws into that hole, drill a hole in the middle and put my thermometer in that. Then screw it back in and voila. What do you think? The only problem is that it has only a general temperature range (goes up by 5s).

Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
jdoiv

Recipes 

I would be worried that that solution would leak.

More beer has this which will work just fine and isn't as expensive.

Do some looking on the web and I'm sure you'll find some similar solutions.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
egurney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Reason: notification

Quick Reply