Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Where to buy fermenters?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
flyfisherwes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to buy fermenters?

I Am in the market for more fermenters. I like plastic buckets best because they are light and don't break. I am looking for the least expensive place to get buckets or anything else I can use for fermenters. I saw 5 gallon buckets at lowes but if I do 5 gallon batches are these big enough? I have tried to primary in 5 gallon glass carboys ant it gets messy. I thought about doin 8 gallon batches and using 2 five gallon buckets separately to ferment.

I'd love some help with ideas or places to buy.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Check out some of HBT's wonderful sponsors in the vendors forum.

If you do 5G batches, you probably want the 6.5G buckets at least for primary.

If you do 8G batches, you could potentially split them into 2 HD or Lowe's buckets. Most people don't use those because they are an odd size for batches - for 5G batches, you need bigger.

If you want a 8G batch all in one fermenter (keep in mind that will be much tougher to move), you could try a 10G bucket...I think I saw some at Northern Brewer.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

i have some medical grade HDPE 7gal water containers if you want them for free. Just pay shipping from CA. We used them for a few batches and they work great. Stackable and with a nice handle. PM if interested.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
pb300
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Food grade icing buckets can be had for free from a bakery or grocery store, but they'll likely only be 3 or 5 gallons in size.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou
Check out some of HBT's wonderful sponsors in the vendors forum.

If you do 5G batches, you probably want the 6.5G buckets at least for primary.

If you do 8G batches, you could potentially split them into 2 HD or Lowe's buckets. Most people don't use those because they are an odd size for batches - for 5G batches, you need bigger.

If you want a 8G batch all in one fermenter (keep in mind that will be much tougher to move), you could try a 10G bucket...I think I saw some at Northern Brewer.
Thanks. I was gonna go 8 gallon batches for the sole purpose of Making them suitable for 2 five gallon buckets. I do 5 gallon batches but it seems kinda cumbersome to split up a five gallon batch. I will check out the sponsors.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129
i have some medical grade HDPE 7gal water containers if you want them for free. Just pay shipping from CA. We used them for a few batches and they work great. Stackable and with a nice handle. PM if interested.
I think shipping from Cali to WV would probably defeat the purpose. But I am curious, what department in a hospital has water buckets? I am a pharmacy student and work in hospitals regularly so I might be able to come across some.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
Hey post a pic i'd like to check them out. am over in L.A so shipping over shouldn't be to bad.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply