The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > When to Use Keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jints07 View Post
For the mechanically and household-handy-impaired (me) is that half inch or 1 inch copper? The price is literally double between the two.

I.e. would this work:

Lowes copper tubing
Mine are 3/8ths inch. My five gallon setup used a 25' length, when I went to ten gallon batches I needed to double that lenth.

These days, for just a little more money than raw materials, immersion chillers are readily available and ready to go like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...ersion+chiller
Jints07 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
Jints07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Mine are 3/8ths inch. My five gallon setup used a 25' length, when I went to ten gallon batches I needed to double that lenth.

These days, for just a little more money than raw materials, immersion chillers are readily available and ready to go like this one:

Wow, thanks a ton! It's literally only pennies more when all is said and done! Funny, one of the reasons I want to move from 1 gallon to 5 gallon (aside from just moving up) is because of your Blonde Ale!!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
ArkotRamathorn
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

Is there a length of tubing, or diameter of tubing, where its efficiency begins to drop off?

I like to build and MacGuyver things, so it's not necessarily about saving money, but if I grabbed a 1/4" set of tubing, and created a 50' coil. Would this be twice as efficient as a 1/2" tube with a 25' coil? I am not a scientist of any kind so this is all just junk in my brain. The way I think is, same amount of coolant water, smaller tube diameter, longer tube, increase flow pressure (and flow rate, or am I confusing my laws here), would this create a net effect of more cooling quicker?

Or is it the exact opposite, because theres less water in any given section of the tubing, and its traveling faster through the tubing because of the decreased diameter, it has a lower thermal mass, so it wouldn't be able to pull as much heat out of the wort? Am I completely insane and should've paid more attention in physics class?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #24
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Id wait but that's just me. as far as lifting it, that's 25lb minimum empty keggle.... one gallon of water weighs roughly eight lbs, plus a big hunk of oddly shaped metal... u do the math. and considering its gonna be hot as hell, that's a big risk. If uve never used a keggle before either I think u'll be surprised just how hot even the top of the keggle will get.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #25
TrainReck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkotRamathorn View Post
Is there a length of tubing, or diameter of tubing, where its efficiency begins to drop off?

I like to build and MacGuyver things, so it's not necessarily about saving money, but if I grabbed a 1/4" set of tubing, and created a 50' coil. Would this be twice as efficient as a 1/2" tube with a 25' coil? I am not a scientist of any kind so this is all just junk in my brain. The way I think is, same amount of coolant water, smaller tube diameter, longer tube, increase flow pressure (and flow rate, or am I confusing my laws here), would this create a net effect of more cooling quicker?

Or is it the exact opposite, because theres less water in any given section of the tubing, and its traveling faster through the tubing because of the decreased diameter, it has a lower thermal mass, so it wouldn't be able to pull as much heat out of the wort? Am I completely insane and should've paid more attention in physics class?
Well, I never did that well in Fluid Mechanics, but I can say most things with heat exchangers relate to surface area...

Surface Area of tubing = PI * diameter * length in feet * 12in/ft

So, 50' of 1/4" = 3.14*.25*50*12 = 471 sq. in.

25' of 1/2" = 3.14*.5*25*12 = 471 sq. in.

When you double the diameter, but halve the length you end up at the same place. Both coils have the same surface area.

However, they do have different volumes...

Volume of tubing = PI * radius squared * length in feet * 12 in/ft

Volume of 50' of 1/4" = 3.14*.125*.125*50*12 = 29.43 cu. in.

Volume of 25' of 1/2" = 3.14*.25*.25*25*12 = 58.88 cu. in.

Maybe some of the factors you mentioned might put one slightly ahead of the other, but i bet there wouldn't be much of a difference between the two setups due to the surface area being the same.

P.S. Awesome screen name. Do you have any liter-a-cola?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #26
ArkotRamathorn
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainReck View Post
Well, I never did that well in Fluid Mechanics, but I can say most things with heat exchangers relate to surface area...

Surface Area of tubing = PI * diameter * length in feet * 12in/ft

So, 50' of 1/4" = 3.14*.25*50*12 = 471 sq. in.

25' of 1/2" = 3.14*.5*25*12 = 471 sq. in.

When you double the diameter, but halve the length you end up at the same place. Both coils have the same surface area.

However, they do have different volumes...

Volume of tubing = PI * radius squared * length in feet * 12 in/ft

Volume of 50' of 1/4" = 3.14*.125*.125*50*12 = 29.43 cu. in.

Volume of 25' of 1/2" = 3.14*.25*.25*25*12 = 58.88 cu. in.

Maybe some of the factors you mentioned might put one slightly ahead of the other, but i bet there wouldn't be much of a difference between the two setups due to the surface area being the same.

P.S. Awesome screen name. Do you have any liter-a-cola?
Oh duh, surface area... So basically I would have to try a length of coil up to the point where the coolant water reached equilibrium with the wort and has pulled as much energy as possible from the wort.

What's a liter-a-cola?

I'm super jealous of my younger brother since he got to meet Steve Lemme and Kevin Heffernan during a bacherlor party (I believe they went to their stand up tour).

Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Wait.... A hot Keggle is not an easy thing to move and not worth the risk.

DPB

Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
TIPA0303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've carried a hot 10 gal batch in a keggle down a few steps and across a long hallway to chill. It's doable, but not something I'd recommend or really want to do again.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #29
Aaronhamann
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I chill my 5 gal. batches in three ice baths to increase the surface area and lighten the load a bit. About 1.75 gal. at a time. The first 2 I get to about 90 degrees and the last one as cold as possible. Sometimes I have to wait a bit before pitching. I also use a whisk to oxygenate the wort.

Quick Reply