The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > When to Use Keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Jif
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to Use Keggle

I just placed some orders for my next batch of brew, still doing extract. My keggle is off being welded right now, and my previous pot is a 1.5-2 gallon one that came with my turkey fryer. I'd like to jump to full boils as soon as I can, but I don't have a chiller yet. Do I need to wait until I have one to use it? I'll be boiling (if full boiler) in the garage, but the nearest bathtub is up a flight of stairs, making it difficult to immerse. Should I just do a partial boil this time and wait until I have a chiller for full?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would wait, but that is just me. It will take FOREVER for that to cool without a chiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
surfbrewer
Recipes 

I would wait and I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to carry the full amount of hot liquid up the flight of stairs. Now, if you could get something large enough to submerge you pot in down stairs it might be worth it but even then, trying to cool that much liquid by using an ice bath would take forever and would leave you open to the risk of infection. Personally I would hold off until you have a chiller IMO.

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Jif
Recipes 

That's kind of what I was thinking. Oh well, one last partial boil!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know it is a bit of a lift, but you don't have a clean rubbermaid storage bin or trash can handy? It would still take a bunch of ice/water, along with stirring it, draining and adding more to cool the keggle and that much wort after hosing it down with cold water... wait after thinking about it more you're probably right... Because after brewing and drinking, who wants to deal with all of that? It's do able, but as others stated, might be more of a hassle then you want to deal with... Have a good brew session either way!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just cooled mine last night in a large toy bin with icewater. Put something in the bottom to keep the kettle from burning through the plastic. I had mine cooled to pitching in under an hour with some stirring and adding of ice. I was cooling about 6G in a turkey fryer though so YMMV with a keggle.

-Craig

Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

You had a 2-gallon pot for a turkey fryer?

Are you sure that wasn't a Cornish Hen Fryer?

For your chiller, go to Lowe's, buy some flexible copper tubing, some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings and done.

wort_chiller.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Jif
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
I know it is a bit of a lift, but you don't have a clean rubbermaid storage bin or trash can handy? It would still take a bunch of ice/water, along with stirring it, draining and adding more to cool the keggle and that much wort after hosing it down with cold water... wait after thinking about it more you're probably right... Because after brewing and drinking, who wants to deal with all of that? It's do able, but as others stated, might be more of a hassle then you want to deal with... Have a good brew session either way!
It wouldn't be TOO bad of a lift, as I'm just doing 5 gallons, not a full keggle. I'll have to muster up all of my man-strength, just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
You had a 2-gallon pot for a turkey fryer?

Are you sure that wasn't a Cornish Hen Fryer?

For your chiller, go to Lowe's, buy some flexible copper tubing, some clear vinyl tubing and some hose fittings and done.
It came with two pots, a big 5'er and the little one I mentioned above. Really good for frying up funnel cakes or something like that after you finish up a whole turkey.

I had fried a turkey back in the day and left the pot outside for a bit because I'm a lazy college student. Thing filled up with water, froze, and expanded out the bottom so the pot is worthless. As of now, the 2 gallon is all I have lying around, and it's what I've brewed all of my batches in thus far. It works fine, but I'm getting really excited for full boils, and later AG.

I also don't have a dip-tube for my keggle yet, but I figure I can deal with that with a siphon for a little while, until I buy either a hopstopper or the Bazooka-T with the tube you can get for it. Can't decide between those guys yet.

For building a chiller for a keggle, do I need to have copper extended all the way out of the beer and no vinyl until then, or can vinyl stand the boiling temperatures in the wort?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post

For building a chiller for a keggle, do I need to have copper extended all the way out of the beer and no vinyl until then, or can vinyl stand the boiling temperatures in the wort?
There are some high temperature plastics, but it is best if you have the copper come all the way out. On a 50' chiller there should be plenty of copper and this will not be difficult to do. The biggest reason I'd keep the vinyl and connections out of the wort is the potential of leaks at the connection. I've personally seen a leak form at the seam (hose clamps come lose) and then cool hose water find it's way into the beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jif View Post
...For building a chiller for a keggle, do I need to have copper extended all the way out of the beer and no vinyl until then, or can vinyl stand the boiling temperatures in the wort?
No...keep the plastic tubing clear of boiling wort.

boilpot.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply