Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What's your favorite type of bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
ruffdeezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

EZ cap are my fav, but there are expensive, and I'm just getting into kegging so they will get less use now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Sierra Nevada 12oz, and various imported Imperial pint bottles. (Fuller's, Belhaven, various German flip-tops, etc.) That way I get one pour per bottle, which perfectly fills my favorite Sam Adams and nonic pint glasses. I hate making a second pour from a bottle of homebrew, as tilting it up can stir up the yeast and cloud the beer.

The SNPA 12oz bottles are great...not too tall, completely unmarked, and emptying them of their original content is quite enjoyable.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My bottle collection consists largely of 12 oz. 9 inch commercial recappable bottles.....probably about 450. I toss any like the Sierra Nevada or New Belgium that aren't 9 inch. The glass isn't all that thick in most of them, but they cap & hold up fine. Only had two fail so far. I also have @ 20 of the 16 oz. flip-tops. I have a few larger bottles, but these tend to be problematic unless they can be emptied in one pour, as the sediment gets stirred up.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I still have 16 1 litre Mr Beer bottles.....And I fill those first. I love them.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have a wide variety of bottles though most are standard 12oz pop tops or 22oz. I like the ones that are a little different or unusual. Like Orval bottles (really nice shape), Red Stripe (The short squat design is quite different), Guiness Extra Stout (another short bottle). The 16oz aluminum bottles I have are really nice. First they are Steelers 75th anniversary, second 16oz is a great size and finally Al bottles are much lighter that glass. My newest bottle is a 2 liter fliptop bottle. It has a great design and was only $10 filled with a German Dopplebock.

Get a capper, they are cheap and easy to use. Then you can use whatever bottles you can get. You don't really need to buy bottles because you can reuse many commercial varieties.

The local grocery store is carrying a German brand in 16oz brown fliptops for $2.75 each. The have Hefeweizen, Bavarian Ale and Dopplebock. All are much better than Grolsh and the bottles are better too. Its not cheap beer but its about the same price as Ez-cap bottles are empty.

Craig

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I try to stick with one bottle type per batch. I have a full set of:
1. Grolsch swing-top
2. Standard brown long-necks
3. Sierra Nevada stubbies
4. Anchor curvy stubbies

The grocery store near me carries 24oz Sierra bottles, so I'm accumulating those. I also have a smattering of 22oz guinness extra stout bottles and 750ml champagne/cider bottles. I'd love to have a full set of Red Stripe bottles or Orvals.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Guinness bottles are my #1 all time favorite. The sexy feminine shape of the bottles, the ease of label removal... Man, those things are just plain sexy.

#2 are Anchor Steam. They just look... arcane? Ancient, maybe? I don't know, but they look like mini-wine bottles. Good stuff.
+1 on teh Guinness draught bottles. I had the local bar and grill save me the ones they bought for St Patrick's Day and it was so easy to take off the label and pull out the widget.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
de_ronde
Recipes 

Pacifico Bottles are a favorite of mine. Heavy 12 ounce Brown glass with long necks and labels that practically come off while you are drinking them.

I also have a good assortment of German 500ml bottles from Franziskaner Weiss Bier.

Expensive, but fun to empty the first time, and each time thereafter.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Guinness bottles are my #1 all time favorite. The sexy feminine shape of the bottles, the ease of label removal... Man, those things are just plain sexy.

#2 are Anchor Steam. They just look... arcane? Ancient, maybe? I don't know, but they look like mini-wine bottles. Good stuff.

Exactly here! (for aesthetic reasons)

However, for actual ease of bottling my 10 cases of German flip-tops cannot be topped!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

32 oz swingtops. I have dozens of of them. Yes, they were really expensive.

Quick Reply